HP pavilion ZE5170 replacement hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
My original 40Gb IBM travelstar HDD failed in my HP pavilion Ze5170. I am looking to replace and upgrade, does anyone know of a 60/80Gb drive that is compatible, looking at a Samsung Spinpoint M40 at the moment.

Thanks

I realize you probably already bought and installed a drive, but, to help anyone else, I just replaced the original HDD (it crashed) in my HP Pavilion ze 5170 with a HITACHI Travelstar 5K100 HTS541010G9AT00 (13G1591) 100GB 5400 RPM ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive from newegg.com for $70 shipped. It's quieter, faster, and larger than the original 40GB drive and so far it works great.
Side note: when I was using the recovery discs to install the WinXP and drivers (and all the other crap that comes on them) I got a "PXE-E61 Media Test Failure". To fix this I just changed my boot order to read my CD-ROM drive first and the install when swimmingly.

just about any laptop drive will work. Ensure you have an IDE for IDE or SATA for SATA replacement. Some laptops will require an adaptor. If so, remove it from the old drive and put it on the new one. It's a simple job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back