HP refreshes enterprise notebooks, offers 32-hour battery life

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

HP has overhauled its enterprise laptops, adding new processors and a sturdier, more power efficient design. HP's new EliteBook and ProBook models are constructed with the company's "Forge" framework, which includes aluminum-alloy hinges, titanium-alloy display latches, a magnesium-reinforced ABS chassis, a bottom-case drain in case of spills, and an HP "DisplaySafe" frame.

The EliteBook 8460p (14-inch) and 8560p (15.6-inch) appear to be the premium offerings, boasting an HP DuraCase that meets the MIL-STD 810G military standards and up to 32 hours of runtime with an HP BB09 Ultra Extended Life battery. The ProBook line carries many of the same hardy attributes while offering more flexibility with configurations ranging from ultra-light to desktop replacement.

EliteBooks start at $999 and can be outfitted with Intel's latest Core i5 and i7 Sandy Bridge processors, a 1GB Radeon HD 6470M discrete graphics chip, up to 16GB of RAM, mechanical or flash storage, as well as Windows 7, SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 or FreeDOS. Meanwhile, the new ProBooks start at $579 and have cheaper options such as Intel's Core i3 and Celeron, and Windows Vista.

Connectivity on the upper-end models includes two USB 3.0 ports, two USB 2.0 ports (one eSATA combo), VGA and DisplayPort outputs, an ExpressCard 54 slot, a multi-card reader, and various Wi-Fi/WWAN/Bluetooth options. Budget systems have less I/O, but HP has covered the important bases. All of the new enterprise machines should be available in the US on March 15.

Permalink to story.

My next laptop will definitely be from HP. Sony has lost my respect with the Vaio C series and their lawsuits against GeoHotz.

They say its a "9-cell (100 WHr) Li-Ion battery" which is interesting. 32 hours is impressive :)

When i saw the title i was like "Atom" but a i5 and i7?, i wonder how much will last if i abused on the cpu. But off from that this would be a nice upgrade on the base quality for notebooks *cough hear that SONY*.

It's only "32 hours" if minimally spec'd and most likely only for the Pro Book... and only in a vacuum AND only at 56.4*F in 4 sessions with 30 minute breaks between as long as you crank the dynamo wheel on the side.

Rick said:
...as long as you crank the dynamo wheel on the side.

Fortunately, there's an option to upgrade that to a hamster in a wheel. You can also upgrade to the 64 hour battery, which comes with a second laptop.

Very interesting laptop. I've never used an HP laptop before, is their touchpad always slightly to the left?

onearmedscissor said:
Fortunately, there's an option to upgrade that to a hamster in a wheel. You can also upgrade to the 64 hour battery, which comes with a second laptop.

Make that a human sized wheel, advertise on craigslist that you're running a boot camp, and have people pay you to power your laptop while you surf the web.

Then buy more laptops and wheels, get some staffers to run the other computers, and you've got a business.

Rick said:
It's only "32 hours" if minimally spec'd and most likely only for the Pro Book... and only in a vacuum AND only at 56.4*F in 4 sessions with 30 minute breaks between as long as you crank the dynamo wheel on the side.

HP says its only for their EliteBook 8460p and 8560p notebook PCs, even if it is the lowest spec option that's still a Core i3 which is incredible and a little hard to believe at the same time ;)

32 hours? Wow! I find it's hard to believe, but if it's true (even only half of it) who won't welcome that innovation? I certainly be the first in line.

From HP's website:

"Up to 32 hours requires HP 9-cell (100 WHr) Li-Ion primary battery, separately purchased HP BB09 Ultra Extended Life Notebook Battery and customer download of the latest Intel graphics driver and HP BIOS. Notebook must be configured with Intel graphics, optional Intel 160GB SSD drive, HP LED HD Display and requires Windows 7 operating system. Battery life will vary depending on the product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, wireless functionality and power management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will decrease with time and usage."

Back