HP Spectre X360 15” Youtube videos lagging

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to see if anyone else had a
8550U based laptop and experiencing slowdown issues?

I purchased the 15” spectre x360 in jan this year and first few weeks were fine but all of a sudden every few Youtube videos I watch there constantly stopping to buffer every few seconds. It’s really weird it doesn’t happen every day, this whole week it’s been fine but last night I couldn’t watch more than 5 seconds of a single video without it stopping to buffer.

I don’t think it’s a issue with my internet because I’m getting a constant 120 down, and I can use my old Toshiba qosmio x500 which if I remember right only supported 802.11g 2.4 and that works flawlessly.
I’ve also taken the laptop to a few friends places and it experiences the same issues there as well.
Not to mention at home I’m able to stream Netflix or Apple TV all day without any issues.

One other thing I’ve noticed is the battery’s really depleted quickly. I use to get 3 hours out of it ( full brightness) but the last few days I’ve been running tests and I’m getting closer to 90 minutes.

I’ve spoken to HP and they recommend to update all the drivers, bios update and even re install windows which has all been done but to no avail. They also got me to run some hardware diagnostic tests in bios which all returned normal results.

It seems to me like a CPU throttling issue because whenever I have the issue it seems to be when the fans are running full pelt. Whenever the fans quieten down the issue seems to improve. However that’s a difficult solution as even running the laptop in tent mode with all the vents fully open and the room temp at 18c with the air con on the laptops still overheating with the fans running full pelt.

Has anyone else experienced the same issues? HP are trying to get the parts in for me so I can send it in for service, but I obviously don’t want to send it in, have to set everything up again, and be without it for a few weeks, just for them to say it’s running fine and return it to me having done nothing.

Thanks for your advice.

Back