HP's massive professional-grade 4K monitor features 10-bit color spectrum, IPS panel and more

Shawn Knight

Staff member

nab hp monitor hewlett packard 4k 4k monitor dreamcolor z32x hp dreamcolor z32x nab 2015

The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) trade show is in full swing this week with several technology giants on hand to show off their latest products. One of the early frontrunners for attention is HP’s new DreamColor Z32x, a professional-grade 4K monitor that’s certainly impressive… at least, on paper.

As Digital Trends notes, HP’s drool-worthy monitor features a 31.5-inch IPS display sporting a proper resolution of 3,840 x 2,160. Connectivity options include HDMI 2.0 and 1.4 as well as a full size and Mini DisplayPort 1.2. There’s also an integrated USB 3.0 hub with fast-charging support for mobile devices.

The display features a picture-in-picture mode that allows users to view feeds from each of the four inputs simultaneously. Other noteworthy specs include a contrast ratio of 1,000:1 static / 5,000,000:1 dynamic, an 8ms gray to gray response ratio at a total weight of 23.5 pounds.

Best yet, the screen boasts 10-bit color reproduction and is calibrated from the factory to cover the full sRGB spectrum as well as 99 percent of Adobe RGB.

The only “knock” on the DreamColor Z32x is that it doesn’t support variable refresh rates so it wouldn’t be ideal for gaming. Then again, the monitor is designed for working professionals involved in content creation so it’s a bit unfair to count that against it.

Pricing hasn’t yet been revealed but when it does arrive sometime this summer, I assure you it won’t come cheap.

Permalink to story.

It's tv 16:9 ratio
for photo editing 16:10 is better
More like the other way round, professional editors are more interested in wide monitors these days. And monitors like LG's 34UM95 and Samsung's S34E790C are one of the most popular ones out there.

It is a shame that a new premium product still falls short in supporting DisplayPort 1.3.

Last edited:
Not big enough... NEXT.

The PPI is too much, I don't want use any form of scaling. As far as I'm concerned for a computer monitor, display size for this resolution is 48 inches minimum.

I wonder how many people will drive these 4k monitors with Geforce cards?

Geforce don't output 10bit only AMD desktop cards do.

So many people get sucked in by this! People don't realise how crippled Nvidia cards really are.

Back