Huawei boss: We feel Tizen has no chance to be successful

Shawn Knight

Staff member

huawei tizen google apple microsoft android ios windows phone smartphone mobile os mobile operating system richard yu

The two dominant mobile operating systems - Android and iOS - are here to stay according to Huawei boss Richard Yu.

During a recent interview with The Wall Street Journal, the executive said his company has no plans to use Tizen, the Linux-based open-source mobile operating system backed by a bevy of companies including Intel, Samsung and Sprint, just to name a few.

Yu said some telecom carriers have been urging them to build Tizen phones and at one point, they had a team researching the subject. The project, however, was ultimately called off because they feel Tizen has no chance to be successful.

When asked if Huawei plans to build their own mobile OS, Yu pointed out that it's easy to design a mobile operating system. But just as Microsoft is finding out with Windows Phone, the problem is building the ecosystem around it.

True enough, attracting developers to build for a new mobile OS when there are already hoards of users on Android and iOS can be a tough sell.

Huawei is no stranger to using the Windows Phone OS as they've tried to push phones running Microsoft's mobile solution in the past. The problem is that it's just difficult to persuade customers to buy a Windows Phone device and it wasn't profitable for the company. As such, Huawei has put all releases of new Windows Phone handsets on hold.

With Tizen and Windows Phone off the table, the only option Huawei has left is Android. Yu admitted that they have concerns about putting all of their eggs in one basket, so to speak, but they have no other choice. Fortunately, they have a good relationship with Google, he added.

Permalink to story.

I bet one day Samsung was having a board meeting about how to deal with Google and Android, and the boss got mad and said 'Forget 'em, we'll make our own mobile OS.'

There was obviously no one in the room with the courage to disagree with him.

I bet one day Samsung was having a board meeting about how to deal with Google and Android, and the boss got mad and said 'Forget 'em, we'll make our own mobile OS.'
There was obviously no one in the room with the courage to disagree with him.
Thing is, if any one company would be able to pull this off, it would be Samsung. The company does so happen to command a respectable 20 - 30% market share. I'm by no means a Samsung fan, in fact I wouldn't touch their crappy phones ever, but one does have to appreciate their buying and pulling power. If they can successfully skin Tizen to work similarly to Android, coupled with the fact it can run most, if not all, Android apps, then they may just have a winner. By slowly weaning people off Android, it could well mean then end for Googles dominance in the mobile sector as Samsung is by far their largest phone manufacturer. Huawei is small time anyway, so what they say makes about as much sense as a canoe with a handbrake. At the end of the day, I hope they do succeed, as the more competition in the market the better.

After bada OS I will never trust samsung again
You forget that this time it isn't just Samsung, but numerous other large corporations throwing in their support for this platform.

Back