Huawei launches Mate 30 Pro with "Horizon" display and "Halo ring" camera system

nanoguy

Staff member
The big picture: The Chinese giant launched its new Mate 30 lineup at an event in Munich, with lots of improvements, but also no mention of Google-owned apps. Instead, as previously rumored, the handsets will come with an open source version of Android with EMUI10 that doesn't have Gmail, Maps, or YouTube pre-installed. Both phones have beefy specs, 5G connectivity, quad camera systems, and reverse wireless charging - pretty much everything you'd possibly want in a flagship phone.

Huawei's new Mate 30 lineup has a questionable future, but that didn't stop the company from proudly unveiling its alternative to Apple's iPhone 11 and Samsung's Galaxy Note 10 at a press event in Munich. The most recent leaks and renders have revealed several aspects ahead of the official launch, but now we know more details about the company's first non-Google-approved devices.

As expected, the new handsets come with no Google apps pre-installed, as a result of Huawei being on the US entity list - which means an effective ban has been placed on American companies dealing with it and its subsidiaries. Furthermore, Huawei had to ship the Mate 30 series with an open source version of Android 10 with the EMUI layer on top of it, and the company has an official website dedicated to explaining how these changes affect its customers.

On a more positive note, the Chinese company did prepare for this by honing its ecosystem of apps available in the Huawei App Gallery as well as building the Huawei Mobile Services Core into the phone software. This is meant to replace Google's services, and Huawei says it's already integrated with more than 45,000 apps. All of this is part of a $1 billion investment that is going into research and development, user growth, marketing, and software services.

All the services on the Mate 30 series will tie into a Huawei ID that will serve as the main key into the ecosystem. The company even went as far as to replace Google Chrome with its very own browser developed in-house. Other software features include dark mode, Air Gestures enabled by the sensors in the notch, and AI Rotate - which means the phone will look at your eyes to decide the screen orientation. Huawei says this will also adapt the notifications you receive so that you only see the full details if you're alone.

The Mate 30 series are 6+ inch devices with a screen that curves around the edges in the case of the Mate 30 Pro, while the standard variant has a flat screen. Both are powered by Huawei's new Kirin 990 chip that was announced at IFA earlier this month. That means there's plenty of processing power and also built-in 5G connectivity for certain markets. The SoC is backed by 8GB of RAM and there are two storage options - 128GB and 256GB, which you can expand using the company's proprietary microSD alternative.

The display of the Mate 30 Pro is a 6.53-inch, 2,400 by 1,176 "Horizon" panel that has a piezoelectric actuator speaker integrated into it. The notch hides plenty of technology for face unlock and augmented reality, as well as Air Gestures. There's also an in-screen fingerprint reader for those of you who prefer that option. The Mate 30 has a slightly larger screen with a teardrop notch that's supposed to emit 25 percent less blue light when compared to traditional OLED displays.

One of the more noticeable changes is on the back of the phones, with a quad camera system contained in a "Halo ring" cutout. The Mate 30 Pro has a main 40 megapixel shooter, a 40 megapixel ultrawide camera, an 8 megapixel telephoto one, and a depth sensor. The Mate 30 compromises on the ultrawide sensor with a 16 megapixel alternative and also forgoes the depth sensor in favor of a "laser focus" one.

In terms of video, both phones are able to shoot in up to 4K, but naturally the Mate 30 Pro features the ability to shoot slow-motion 720p video at up to 7,680 frames per second. Huawei is essentially taking the true 960 frames per second recording and applying computational smoothing techniques to get to that ridiculously high framerate result. Another thing worth noting is the ability to see the four camera feeds at the same times in a split-screen view, which is a boon for amateur cinematographers.

To power all those things, Huawei has equipped the Mate 30 with a 4,200 mAh battery and the Mate 30 Pro with a larger, 4,500 mAh one. However, both support fast-charging up to 40W when using the wired option and up to 27W if you're dropping them on a wireless charging mat. There's also reverse charging for those of you who want to charge your Qi-compatible gadgets.

There are four colors you can choose from - black, space silver, cosmic purple, and emerald green. All of them have a matte gradient finish that's supposed to keep them fingerprint-free, and you can also opt for either a green or an orange "vegan leather" back. Huawei also confirmed expectations for a Porsche Design variant of the Mate 30 Pro that comes with a slightly different camera design that is inside a strip instead of a ring, along with 12GB of RAM and 512GB of internal storage to boot.

In terms of pricing, the Mate 30 will start at €799 ($883) and the Mate 30 Pro will set you back €1099 ($1,215) for the 4G model, and €1199 ($1,325) for the 5G variant. The Porsche Design edition starts at €2095 ($2,315), which shouldn't surprise anyone. It's worth noting that while Huawei sold 16 million Mate 20 devices last year, it will be harder to do that with the Mate 30 lineup now that it no longer has the Google apps integration.

Permalink to story.

I'm pretty sure you can install Play Store APK on the Mate 30 just like the chinese phones on sites like Gearbest. I know I'll be doing that with the Redmi Note 7 Pro I plan on buying in the next couple weeks. The most you could lose is 4G, but Play Store shouldn't be a problem for techies or people willing to do a google search on how to load "unknown" apps via developer settings.

Update:
Turns out Huawei doesn't have an Android license because of the US ban, and therefore the Mate 30 doesn't have the core component (GMS) that allows Google apps to run when side loaded.

Last edited:
The only problem with all these new and very powerful devices - Android, with all its viruses, spamware/scumware and other crapware. I hope that Huaway or somebody like them will smarten up and offer a closed and safe OS.

I think if the phone is good enough and priced reasonably the Google Services will not make big problem as there are already solution, but the price seem terrible as Iphone

The only problem with all these new and very powerful devices - Android, with all its viruses, spamware/scumware and other crapware. I hope that Huaway or somebody like them will smarten up and offer a closed and safe OS.

you do realize that you are talking about a Chinese firm right? and many of the other device makers are Chinese as well? *closed and safeOS* to anyone outside of their country is like saying *yes, there are plenty of reasons to have doorknobs on trees and plenty of use cases*. the smartest thing the US can do is keep companies like Huawei from our shores.

WAY overpriced....feel free to spend THAT amount on "a phone" no matter how many silly gimmicks it has.
Too many cameras, goofy colors. Plus, if you live in the USA, don't bother, you'll never get support for it anyway.

I don't dig the build of these phones at all, especially that curved screen which is a weird industry trend started by Samsung with the S8+.

An issue with Huawei is lack of microSD support. A prioprietary slot is a no for me.

From what I've read in other articles, they do mention the lack of Google Apps but it's 90 minutes into the launch. Apparently the Google apps are not pre-installed but can be side-loaded (which is common practice in China). However this is not a simple process and the end-result may not be as stable. They did mention that 45,000 apps are supported on their Huawei app store but did not name a single one.
It's a pity. Huawei make very good and affordable phones. But their market share outside of China is going to plummet without access to Google. I guess I have to go back to the over-priced Samsung phones now.

WAY overpriced....feel free to spend THAT amount on "a phone" no matter how many silly gimmicks it has.
Too many cameras, goofy colors. Plus, if you live in the USA, don't bother, you'll never get support for it anyway.

If by support you mean it won't connect to US networks, it sure will. There is a China and Global version for the Mate 30 series and many many many other chinese brand phones that aren't sold in the US.

An issue with Huawei is lack of microSD support. A prioprietary slot is a no for me.

Fair enough, but with a minimum of 128GB and up to 512GB storage, not many people will care. Just like less and less people care about removable batteries and 3.5 headphone jacks.

Also, SD cards are far slower than local storage, so I'm willing to dump my 64GB SD for a 128GB phone with no option for SD. Mainly because I just put it in and it just sits there anyway. Meaning I'm not pulling it out for any reason since I would just connect my phone to a computer via USB or Wifi anyway.

What's the main reason you want/need SD support? Your comment didn't say.

Apparently the Google apps are not pre-installed but can be side-loaded (which is common practice in China). However this is not a simple process and the end-result may not be as stable.

It's incredibly easy for anyone that wants the phone bad enough. Def not easy enough for the average consumer, but easy nonetheless.

Download play store apk
Android Settings > Security
Check install unknown sources box
Install play store or google apps APK.
Uncheck box
Done.

Very stable. Information is available at sites like gsmarena, gearbest and xda.

Last edited:

Expensive? Yes. Every phone has gimmicks so I'll ignore that part. But there is no denying it is a feature rich phone that makes too many current flagships look silly.
https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p30_pro-9635.php

I would rather have a phone with all its viruses, spamware/scumware and other crapware.than a closed OS and I'm sure alot of people would agree with , and that's why android came in the first place

I would rather have a phone with all its viruses, spamware/scumware and other crapware.than a closed OS and I'm sure alot of people would agree with , and that's why android came in the first place

When you find your account getting emptied after using the phone for a small payment, you will sing a different tune.

When you find your account getting emptied after using the phone for a small payment, you will sing a different tune.
maybe for a 80 old granny or for someone who has no clue how to do some basic security procedures but for a techy guy its actually pretty embarrassing to get your account stolen I hope it didn't happened to you , and please don't start ios vs android argument because android wins every time

maybe for a 80 old granny or for someone who has no clue how to do some basic security procedures but for a techy guy its actually pretty embarrassing to get your account stolen I hope it didn't happened to you , and please don't start ios vs android argument because android wins every time
That's incredibly ignorant, to suggest that people like IT professionals do not get malware in their phones. Your 80-year old granny would know better.

799€ is fine I guess, but +2k$ for the porsche design?!?!?

You can buy a high end pc with an rtx 2080 ti

meanwhile im still using a Samsung J2 Prime

Back