Huawei wins patent lawsuit against Samsung in China

Polycount

Staff

Lawsuits seem to be the new norm in the mobile industry, what with Apple and Samsung each fighting their own respective legal battles. While Apple's legal problems are ongoing, one of Samsung's have come to an end - just not in their favor.

Since 2016, Samsung and Huawei have been embroiled in heated legal battles with one particular suit from the latter claiming Samsung violated "multiple" wireless communication device patents.

Unfortunately for Samsung, a Chinese court in Shenzhen has ruled that the company did indeed violate Huawei's patents. The court claims Samsung is "obviously at fault" and "maliciously delayed negotiations" that began back in 2011, according to a Phys report. As a result of this ruling, Samsung must pay the court a "small fee" and immediately refrain from selling or manufacturing any products using Huawei's patented technology.

It's unclear exactly how many of Samsung's devices were using this technology -- the court ruling did not ban the sale or manufacture of specific phone models -- but this could be a serious problem for the company, given the size of China's smartphone market.

Regardless, Samsung has since released a statement saying they will "thoroughly review the court's decision and determine an appropriate response."

Permalink to story.

The only thing I don't get about any country or company working with China is this: it is a fact they steal and reproduce as their own, side with their companies when sued. I remember Jeremy Clarkson talking on TG about German car makers trying to sue Chinese companies for copying their cars and losing in Chinese court. So, do any entity working there calculate it into the budget? Do they already know they have nothing to do if a Chinese company goes after them in Chinese court or when their product blueprints is copied and is being sold for fraction of the price?

The only thing I don't get about any country or company working with China is this: it is a fact they steal and reproduce as their own, side with their companies when sued.
Yeah, me too. I simply don't get why we rely on such a untrustworthy nation. They clearly don't give a crap about international patent law and will steal your stuff the first moment that they get so why do we continue dealing with their crap? I just don't get it. It's time we just tell the Chinese that unless they start respecting international patent and copyright law we will not use your nation to build stuff, that right there will cause them to sit up and take notice because all of a sudden their golden goose will have stopped laying those golden eggs.

The only thing I don't get about any country or company working with China is this: it is a fact they steal and reproduce as their own, side with their companies when sued. I remember Jeremy Clarkson talking on TG about German car makers trying to sue Chinese companies for copying their cars and losing in Chinese court. So, do any entity working there calculate it into the budget? Do they already know they have nothing to do if a Chinese company goes after them in Chinese court or when their product blueprints is copied and is being sold for fraction of the price?
I like bicycles. I notice that one of the main companies that manufacture components (Campagnolo) refuses to move any of their manufacturing to China. It is either made in Italy or outsourced to Romania. When asked why, Valentino Campagnolo, company head, stated that if they had any of their products manufactured in China they would lose their intellectual property. Since all they make is bicycle stuff, this would be disastrous so they simply will not do it. So some companies are aware of the situation there

The only thing I don't get about any country or company working with China is this: it is a fact they steal and reproduce as their own, side with their companies when sued.
Yeah, me too. I simply don't get why we rely on such a untrustworthy nation. They clearly don't give a crap about international patent law and will steal your stuff the first moment that they get so why do we continue dealing with their crap? I just don't get it. It's time we just tell the Chinese that unless they start respecting international patent and copyright law we will not use your nation to build stuff, that right there will cause them to sit up and take notice because all of a sudden their golden goose will have stopped laying those golden eggs.
Is because the big corporations have found cheap and qualified workforce there. The first was Motorola back in the days, they went to negociate straight with the Chinese government.

Would probably help in the long run to drop the butthurt attitude. When you are paid peanuts of course you are gonna steal. For 200 bucks a month salary, you are not hiring Mother Teresa isn't it? Besides, part of the IP belongs to them anyway, you only give them the design which is not exactly the finite product. They are gonna have to implement the production lines and do all that research to refine and remove any issues with your product and establish a viable manufacturing process to get the product to your specifications.

Shocker: Chinese court approves patent infringement by domestic company. Again.

That doesn't mean that the court is wrong.

True but since I can't think of a single time a Chinese court has ever sided with a foreign company over a domestic in court I think the case prob decided before hand.
Yeah, I remember when Apple won in a Californian court against Samsung, despite Samsung wining against Apple in Europe ... I guess anyone will protect the local company against the foreign competitor, I don't see why the Chinese are going to be different.

Yeah, I remember when Apple won in a Californian court against Samsung, despite Samsung wining against Apple in Europe ... I guess anyone will protect the local company against the foreign competitor, I don't see why the Chinese are going to be different.

I vaguely remember Samsung winning some legal battles against Apple though in the USA, apple kinda won the big won. But apple and Samsung had something suit about either cpu build or battery tech quality if I remember right and Samsung won that one.

Everybody is protecting their own. Anyone still remember how president Obama himself stopped ruling won by Samsung against Apple in US court. Apple was ordered to stop sales of several iPhones and Obama just said it would hurt US economy and nullified that decision.

Funny thing is that Samsung was the victim both times. But to be honest they had their fair share of copying others.

Yeah, me too. I simply don't get why we rely on such a untrustworthy nation. They clearly don't give a crap about international patent law and will steal your stuff the first moment that they get so why do we continue dealing with their crap?
My feeling is that the company executives do it because all they care about is pleasing their investors in the short term, meeting their targets, getting their huge bonuses and then taking early retirement before the inevitable crash comes.
It is sheer lunacy to move your production facilities to a nation that is known to plagiarise everything they can get their hands on. Yes, it keeps the companies in business in the short run as it reduces labour costs and there are probably tax evasions available to moving production offshore. And it might be 5+ years before it bites you in the ***. But it will happen.

Back