Huge Problem With New Build - Any Help Would Be Great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello techspot members, I'm new here as of today and to be honest I was drawn here because of a tech problem I have recently encountered. I ordered a slew of new parts from newegg.com recently and was very excited to put together my new computer and catch up with some of my friends PC builds. However, I have run into a huge problem! Everything is set up perfectly (or so I believe), yet when I go to turn on the computer, NOTHING happens. Well, something happens, but I will get to that in a bit. First, allow me to provide my computer specs:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6850

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit

Graphics: XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Okay, so my story begins by receiving these parts via UPS ground and being quite excited. I sat down and screwed the mobo into the case, then installed the CPU (which fit perfectly, the lid closed when i pushed the silver hook back into place), then installed the Intel-provided heatsink on top of the processor. Following the successful CPU installation, I installed my RAM - piece of cake, they fit right in place. I installed one in each red RAM slot, as the manual said that I would need to do this in order to utilize Dual Channel technology. Step three, the power supply. I merely screwed this into place, no questions asked. Next, I slid my DVD burner and Hard Drive into place. Finally, I installed my graphics card in the PCI-E x16 slot. I then proceeded to place the appropriate power outlets into all of my parts. My CPU fan was plugged into the CPU_FAN slot of the motherboard; my case fans were plugged into SYS_FAN1 and PWR_FAN. I plugged in the 6-pin power outlet into my PCI-E video card. I connected my DVD Burner and HDD to the mobo via SATA cables and plugged the corresponding PSU SATA power into each of them. Then I got down to the nitty gritty and did all the work with the jumper pins, placing them (correctly, I believe, as I've tried different configurations) properly into the F_PANEL section of the motherboard. I also plugged the AC'97 cable coming off of my tower into the F_AUDIO section of the mobo. Finally, I plugged in the main power cable (ATX 24-Pin) and the ATX_12V 4-Pin cable.

Everything was set to go, right? WRONG! I closed up the tower, hooked up my peripherals and pushed power. Nothing. Absolutely nothing, not even a sound. After tinkering around with the tower open for a while, I noticed something strange. When I pushed the power button, I would get a small noise, almost like a frequency noise (a small buzz), but then nothing. Also, when the PSU is turned on, I can wiggle the main 24-Pin ATX cable and create a constant buzzing, frequency-like sound.

What is going on here? Does anyone have any idea? I get the thought that the PSU is in working order, as when it is turned on I can hear the buzzing and when it is off I cannot. Is there some way I can test the PSU? I've tried connecting to to a hard drive only and turning it on, but nothing happened. Is there a chance that my motherboard is fried? The buzzing noise worries me, it makes me think that power is being sent to my Mobo but my mobo isn't able to utilize it for some reason. I have limited return policies on some of these parts and I'd like to get it worked out.

If ANYONE has ANY IDEA about ANY of this, please feel free to respond or e-mail me at webbiam@gmail.com. My current train of thought is that my motherboard is fried and I need to send it back for a replacement. I would hate to be mistaken! Thank you for your time everyone, and sorry for such a long post!

-William Bosch

William --

I've built several computers, but am expert at nothing; however, the bane of all my builds has been getting the leads from the front of the computer case (for the indicator LED's and power switch and reset switch) plugged into the proper pins on the motherboard.

Over the years, board manufacturers have become better at providing clearer instructions in this area. Did you have trouble with any of this?

Fixed!

Thanks for the concern, but I've fixed the problem...I pieced together the computer OUTSIDE of the tower and it went swimmingly...so all I had to do was place a small foam piece between the mobo and the case and WALA! it worked.

yes. and stop jacking your post count with b.s.

Oh, all right. Perhaps I should increase my post count with inaccuracies, misspellings, and distractions.

I had to stop and figure out what you meant, but I guess that's what passes for good communications skills these days: the reader will figure it out.

It's a French word, and rendered as such: voila!

I compliment you on finding a unique solution to your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back