Hulu reportedly blocking VPN services from accessing its content

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Taking a stand against foreign pirates who access its services without permission, Hulu is now blocking anyone attempting to use their website while connected to the web via a VPN, according to a TorrentFreak report. As of writing the blockade hasn’t been announced publicly by the company.

Hulu, the largest public movie and TV streaming service in the United States, has reportedly created an extensive blocklist of IP addresses which covers IP ranges of all major VPN services. Since late last week if you try to access the website through one of these IPs, you won't be allowed to view any content on the site, and you'll get the following message instead:

hulu vpn

However, the move also blocks actual US-based users who use VPN services for improved privacy. Several major VPN service providers including VikingVPN, TorGuard, Private Internet Access, and others, are now dealing with customer complaints over the issue.

“Private Internet Access exists to protect the privacy of netizens everywhere. Many of our customers leave their Private Internet Access accounts enabled 24/7/365. It is unfortunate that Hulu is blocking VPN service IPs”, said Andrew Lee, CEO of Private Internet Access. He also said that the company is engaged in discussion with Hulu to fix the problem.

For those looking for workarounds, a dedicated VPN IP could be a good quick fix. According to TorGuard, a number of users have already opted for the solution, and the company is planning to roll out more dedicated IPs which are likely to remain undetected.

Moreover, the ban is only effective for IP addresses that make it to Hulu's blacklist. It isn't yet clear how often the company will be updating this list however.

Permalink to story.

So here's how it goes.... People want to use Hulu outside the US. Hulu doesn't allow that, so people use an annonymizer to get around it. Hulu blocks annonymizers and people complain that it's all about privacy.

“Private Internet Access exists to protect the privacy of netizens everywhere. Many of our customers leave their Private Internet Access accounts enabled 24/7/365."
So then fellow 'netizen' turn it off if you want to use Hulu, not like Hulu doesn't know who you are anyway, you need an account to use their service.

Why should they care? They don't have a legit responsibility to try to stop people from doing this...

It takes 2 clicks .. maybe 3 .. to disable PIA. Disable it .. watch your show .. and re-enable. It isnt the end of the world. Stop being lazy.

What about customers like myself who are american and stationed overseas? I use a VPN to access content I would normally be entitled to... I have ran into this problem very frequently and it is rather annoying.. Good thing I do not use Hulu or any other such network at the moment. There should be a easier work around for such customers... Then again that is not the problem they are trying to fix.

Why should they care? They don't have a legit responsibility to try to stop people from doing this...
They don't care, but the people buying ads on Hulu do. If you watch Hulu overseas and you get ads for products only available, or only targeted to Americans, advertisors don't get the benefit of the ad they payed for. Its a big ol load of bull with a teensy weensy bit of a legitimate gripe. I don't care though really, I get the same 4 ads 24/7 and they happen to be the most annoying ads in existence. Its obvious only those select few have the astronomical advertisement budgeting to do online streaming ads on hulu. I care less and less about advertisers the more rude and inconsiderate they become to viewers. They don't care how mind numbingly *****ic their commercial concepts are. They don't care how much I want to punch my screen whenever their ads play. I'm tired of people feeling like ads need to jump out and stand out from the rest. The underlying messaging of commercial concepts are so distorted and strange, its like they forgot the real purpose of advertising. Sell your damn product. Stop trying to be cute. But I digress, *****s trying to advertise to *****s... I don't think any words are going to change them.

They don't care, but the people buying ads on Hulu do. If you watch Hulu overseas and you get ads for products only available, or only targeted to Americans, advertisors don't get the benefit of the ad they payed for. Its a big ol load of bull with a teensy weensy bit of a legitimate gripe. I don't care though really, I get the same 4 ads 24/7 and they happen to be the most annoying ads in existence. Its obvious only those select few have the astronomical advertisement budgeting to do online streaming ads on hulu. I care less and less about advertisers the more rude and inconsiderate they become to viewers. They don't care how mind numbingly *****ic their commercial concepts are. They don't care how much I want to punch my screen whenever their ads play. I'm tired of people feeling like ads need to jump out and stand out from the rest. The underlying messaging of commercial concepts are so distorted and strange, its like they forgot the real purpose of advertising. Sell your damn product. Stop trying to be cute. But I digress, ****** trying to advertise to ******... I don't think any words are going to change them.

Yup. Everything you said.

I HATE HULU, I don't use VPN's but if I were I would like to be allowed to protect my privacy; and THEY PLAY ADS; the same one often repeats even with HULU +.

So non US citizens use VPN to watch hulu content which means more profit for hulu but why play ads... playing ads on a netflix type of thing is pathetic I mean who likes it... seriously...

Hulu made this decision on the fact they are making too much money so to prevent money from being generated they blocked VPN services, Hulu you are the first business whos main goal is to loose money congratz!

Probably pressured from big content to make the change. Not surprising but disappointing for overseas users who don't have access to decent and affordable online content due to market power abuse and anti-competitive behaviour of big content providers.

In Australia, we now can only get HBO via Foxtel. The online streaming services here are many times the price of the US offering and offer far less content. This is exactly the reason why people have used VPNs to access US services. If we weren't being extorted, it wouldn't happen.

Probably pressured from big content to make the change. Not surprising but disappointing for overseas users who don't have access to decent and affordable online content due to market power abuse and anti-competitive behaviour of big content providers.

In Australia, we now can only get HBO via Foxtel. The online streaming services here are many times the price of the US offering and offer far less content. This is exactly the reason why people have used VPNs to access US services. If we weren't being extorted, it wouldn't happen.

I doubt content providers care about VPNs. The more views on hulu means more leverage they have with contract negotiations.

So non US citizens use VPN to watch hulu content which means more profit for hulu but why play ads... playing ads on a netflix type of thing is pathetic I mean who likes it... seriously...

Hulu made this decision on the fact they are making too much money so to prevent money from being generated they blocked VPN services, Hulu you are the first business whos main goal is to loose money congratz!

Your post is based in emotionally charged, misguided hate. First of all, if you want TV shows from last year and movies from the decade previous, feel free to go do the "netflix type" thing. If you think hulu can afford its next day air content contracts on a paltry 7.99 a month per subscriber, great. It just doesn't make sense in reality. Hulu, I promise you, is struggling. Every time contracts come up for negotiation, Hulu is at the mercy of content providers who knows Hulu needs them, they don't need Hulu. No doubt advertisers are realizing that the money they spend in buying ads are becoming less effective and so no doubt they threaten to stop advertising on Hulu. Hulu is forced to appease their advertisers through blocking VPNs and probably a price cut for ad time too. Hulu is facing pressure from 3 fronts in order to exist, customers griping because of commercials, content providers, and advertisers, all of which are seemingly dissatisfied. I blame the above 3, not Hulu themselves. For the most part I have benefited from their service. The concept of being glued to primetime TV in the evenings to "catch" my favorite show is a legacy concept to me. Old and obsolete.

I doubt content providers care about VPNs. The more views on hulu means more leverage they have with contract negotiations.
No it doesn't work that way with the Oz market. Markups are massively higher than most other markets. Content providers expect consumers here to pay those higher margins and aggressively protect that model. This is *exactly* the situation demonstrated.

They contractually require Hulu to enforce this regional policy to protect their model.

So here's how it goes.... People want to use Hulu outside the US. Hulu doesn't allow that, so people use an annonymizer to get around it. Hulu blocks annonymizers and people complain that it's all about privacy.

So then fellow 'netizen' turn it off if you want to use Hulu, not like Hulu doesn't know who you are anyway, you need an account to use their service.
Cant agree any more, if you are a VPN user then you can access all hulu shows in your country by routing your ip from Smart DNS.

What's with all the fuss? they haven`t blocked it all. I use a dedicated IP that comes with my subscription at vpnarea.com and everything is going as smoothly as ever. they are either gonna give up because of the sheer volume of the task, or they are gonna see their customer base whither when people get pissed off and start torrenting. the way I see it is a win/win, I love it when a commercial giant drops the ball like that. funny too

I have some problem with hulu. it was not working with VPN but PureVPN rolls out a way to it with dedicated IPs which are completely undetected.

Back