Humanity leaves the solar system -- or maybe not

Archean

Humanity Leaves the Solar System — Or Maybe Not
18-50625186_10.jpg

Voyager 1 has entered a new region of space, sudden changes in cosmic rays indicate.

Hey Cap'n, been a while since I've heard you, hopefully all is well at your end :)

Or ......... if you want to have some real & quiet peace, you can take lift on the next space vehicle heading out of solar system ;)

Right, and I suppose you'd have me give up a perfectly good parking spot to do so?. I can't picture how much long term parking at the spaceport would cost for a trip like that...

I'm good thanks..:) I've been around. I guess we've been traveling in different "circles", er, "riddles", er, "circular riddles", er I mean "threads"....:confused:

I was excited to hear this yesterday. Big step for space exploration I guess.
It's hardly exploring the galaxy, when you travel straight across it. All this distance and we still know very little about the systems that were passed by.

captaincranky
I guess one may not need to worry about parking provided NASA goes ahead and build that space lift thing.

Yup, lately I've had lot less time to wander around on TSF. Mainly, because first it was my wife who wouldn't let me use notebook due to CTS on left hand, and now my young daughter tries to press every key she can reach so I am better off not trying to use it anyway. Secondly, I've been super lazy, and haven't bothered to clean up my desktop in months, in fact, I haven't turned it on for last what 5/6 months now. :(

Yup, lately I've had lot less time to wander around on TSF. Mainly, because first it was my wife who wouldn't let me use notebook due to CTS on left hand, and now my young daughter tries to press every key she can reach so I am better off not trying to use it anyway. Secondly, I've been super lazy, and haven't bothered to clean up my desktop in months, in fact, I haven't turned it on for last what 5/6 months now. :(
My desktops get full regularly, since if I put stuff in "My Documents", I forget where I left it...:confused:

Undaunted, (at least for the most part), I've developed what I think is a practical solution. First I buy a bigger monitor, and if that isn't enough, I build another computer.

I admit it's a bit controversial, if not outright edgy, and has overtones of selling a car because the ashtrays are dirty. Despite that uncomfortable parallel, I think its elegance remains undiminished..;)

Besides, in spite of the fact I own one, I think laptops are an awfull user experience. They're transient, mechanically compromised, and lack any familiarity or intimacy a person comes to expect from a desktop.

And don't get me started about the stinking tablet revolution....:mad:

I play the guitar, and I've come to fear what a case of CTS might do to my favorite hobby I've had bouts with tennis elbow, and know how much pain and incapacity an angry tendon can exact on its owner. That said, I hope you get get yours cleared up soon.

Fair enough, and that is why I haven't discarded my desktop. Although I don't think I need to upgrade it either.

Thanks for your kind words. Apart from crashing into a police car and the back of a taxi, the only major injury I had was stress fracture of back while playing cricket. Luckily, I fully recovered from it and returned to playing sports.

The other day while watching some 'youngsters' sending messages on their smartphones, I was wondering, whether they can end up with 'finger cts' or something similar one day, just a thought.

We could construct interstellar vehicles in the 70's that have enough thruster fuel to keep exploring space until 2020 yet somehow we can't design ground vehicles that get a decent mpg?

Awesome story though - love hearing about how the voyagers' journey is going.

We could construct interstellar vehicles in the 70's that have enough thruster fuel to keep exploring space until 2020 yet somehow we can't design ground vehicles that get a decent mpg?.
Why bother, when you can just keep building "better and better" oil drilling rigs?

Back