Hynix PC2 5300 vs Hynix PC2 5300(s) 555 -- mixed latency

Hello everyone, i am new. If anyone could supply any info. i would be really grateful.
I am sending HYNIX RAM pc2 5300(s) 555 latency to a friend in spain. SHe has pc2 5300. I do not know if the latency for her RAM is 444 or 555. However, am i correct in thinking, as many have said, the comp. simply works from the slowest RAm module. I have 2 identical modules of pc2 5300s, is it best just to put both in as they are identical. ANy info. warmly welcome.

Mixing and matching memory can be tricky. Your friend may or may not have access to both dimms. It's usually best to buy a set of memory designed to work together, but if a mismatched set does work together then it's best to set the memory timings to the least tight settings. If she has 444 and you send her 555 then she'll have to make sure the timings are set to 555 if the BIOS doesn't do that automatically for her.

Does she have to know-how to tell those slight differences... based upon her computer usage?

I would send that, and if she isn't just delighted, send her the module that makes things right. My guess is only one in 300 will detect the difference... but you know her level of usage.

Back