TechSpot

I am thinking about upgrading my CPU and switching over to Intel but...

By JasonDaMacin
Nov 2, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. So I am thinking about upgrading my cpu and switching over to intel but I cant really come up with any good reasons to buy a new cpu and motherboard other than my cpu is outdated and I would like to be able to record lets plays and gameplay. Are there any other pros to buying a new cpu? Like would the performance of my machine increase substantially or something?
    P.S I was going to go with a:
    Intel i5-3570k
    ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX LGA1155

pc current specs:
    AMD FX-6100-six core processor
    16 gb 1033 mhz ram
    XFX Radeon 6950
    ASUS M5A97 motherboard
    windows 7 ultimate
  2. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Depends on what you're doing - if you do a lot of video encoding or CPU heavy tasks then it might be a worthwhile upgrade but if not then either upgrade your GPU if your main focus is gaming or SSD if you just want a more responsive machine for general use.

Unless your current CPU is frequently running at 100% there's no real reason to spend so much on an upgrade to a 3570K especially as Intel's next gen Haswell processors are coming out in a few months.
  3. Coodu

Coodu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

Yeah I would definitely hold off with those specs, no real reason to upgrade that is not a bad machine. Wait for the next wave of Intel hardware and then maybe upgrade. I still get the itch to upgrade my Bloomfield i7, then I return to the present moment when the wife says no! :p
  4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,360   +122

No.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.