I can't format my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI
i bought new computer (dell dimension 9150 ) and when I WANT TO FORMAT it i cant with any copy of windows (I have to use the windows cd that come with it )
so how ican format it with any copy ???

There are several other ways to format the hard disk drive other than using the Windows setup CD. If you know the brand of hard drive you are using (i.e. Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor etc...) you can go to their website and download the tools. I would recommend running the formatting program in DOS from a floppy disk or CD.

I dont see why the Windows disk would not let you format the hdd.

Anyway there are other..and in some cases better ways of formatting a hard drive without the Windows CD. Try and downloading a program like DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) and burn it to a disk. By the way its freeware so you dont have to pay for it. Throw it in your PC and it will COMPLETLY wipe the hdd. As far as i know the windows disk doest format everything. It may leave drivers behind so you dont have to resintall them. DBAN will delete EVERYTHING. Make sure that you have your drivers ready to be reinstalled.
Anyway once DBAN is done, take the disk out and put in the Windows Disk and install.

expand. tell us why you cant format with the windows disk? does it boot? can you see your drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back