I can't see the network and experience an frequently on and off internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonDTHoang

Up until a couple of days ago, my network and internethad been working great for a long time. Just recently, after restarting my computer from a crash from trying to load to many things at once, my internet keeps logging me off of AIM and I keep getting errors on Mozilla firefox; and my network just stopped working. I have no idea what is affecting either problems. My computer cannot see the network, nor can any of the other computers see it.
Computers:
- Windows XP SP2
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP SP2
- Windows Vista
- Windows Vista
I only have one firewall, Windows Defender and I connect through a Linksys Router, by an RJ-45.

So far to try and fix/diagnose my problem I have:
-Tried manually finding the network by \\computer name and \\IPaddress.
-But when I tried to ping the IP through Run... it was able to see it 4/4.
-Tried setting up the network again.
-Tried restarting my computer, several times.
-Tried restarting my internet connection, several times.
-Tried flushing then registering my DNS through Run...>cmd>ipconfig \flushdns>ipconfig \registerdns.
-Tried turning on UPnP.

I suspect that the only thing I can do is to reinstall Windows XP, but it will be troublesome to reacquire all of my programs and to backup all of my files to my External Hard Drive which is currently broken.

Thank you in advance.

Update: Internet works fine most of the time, but AIM frequently disconnects and my downloads all stop around 10%.

Computer Specs:
eMachines T2792
Windows XP SP2
2.70GHz
80GB HD
256MB RAM
DirectX 9.0

could be a lan card problem, try to disable all security and see if the internet and aim works or try safe mode with networking (when booting his the F8 key and boot into safe mode with networking) see if that works

I don't think it's a LAN card problem, I can still ping the other computers, I just can't see them on the network. And, my internet and AIM work on a regular basis, but I get the 'Server Not Found' error often recently, but if I keep clicking refresh, it finds it soon enough. And my AIM simply disconnects and logs me back on automatically often.

So, a quick overview:
-Computer Specs:
eMachines T2792
Windows XP SP2
2.70GHz
80GB HD
256MB RAM
DirectX 9.0
-Problem: Cannot see other computers, internet browser (Firefox) errors often with the "Server not found" message, and AIM disconnects frequently.
-Can ping other computers, but cannot see on the network or find them manually through \\computername.

see this post

it will step you thru the config to diagnose the IP address vs the DNS setup.

if you can ping your gateway, then the NIC, router, modem & ISP addresses are ok.

if you can ping the DNS by address but NOT nslookup $someurl, then the DNS is
wrong.

add the rule to
allow any src, any dst, tcp/udp in/out port 53,67
which will enable DNS traffic in both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back