I fried my CPU, and MOBO too! Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheninrome

The computer case that I have comes with a CPU thermal probe, but I installed only a few days ago. When I powered on the computer, the computer started, but the monitor remained blank. Then, I started to smell smoke, so I immediately shut off my computer. I realized that the tip of the sensor was coated with some type of plastic material. I tried removing the sensor, the CPU, and the HSF and re-installed the CPU & HSF, but the screen on the monitor still remained blank. I'm sure I fried something, but is it my CPU or MOBO? I'm thinking it's my CPU, but I need help assessing the damage. Here are the comp specs:

Athlon 1.2GHz
512MB (2x 256MB 133MHz)
Iwill KK266 Mobo
80GB EIDE

The fan on the heatsink is working properly. The ATX connector of the PSU is a bit burnt, too. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for your response. So it looks like I can't salvage the CPU? This computer is actually a spare computer, but I'd like to get it working again. Does anyone else have any other suggestions or comments on my situation?

If you think your CPU is okay and you want to get another socket A motherboard, there are a lot of inexpensive ones available at Newegg. Take your pick. You are taking a chance that the CPU is still ok but it's up to you.

If you think your CPU is bad, there is no salvaging it. But you won't really know until you try it in a known good socket A motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back