TechSpot

I get frequent BSOD when shutting down

By Ngr
Jun 17, 2006
  1. I have the same problem with 3 different computers. Every time i install Bitdefender antivirus software, no matter if i use version 8, 9 or 9.5, i start getting BSOD of the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL variety when shutting down or rebooting. This does not happen always, i would say 1 in 3 times. The problem dissapears if i remove the AV software. I tried to debug the minidumps but am not sure of my analysis. Two of the computers are running windows xp sp2 + all updates, one is running xp sp1.
    This has been going on for the past 9 months no matter if its a new installation or not. I have contacted Bitdefender support, but their response was of the kind 'Please remove this and this and this software, not compatible with ours'. This really didnt help any though.

I am attaching a debuglog.txt with the latest of my analysis results plus a few minidumps.

I would be really gratefull if anyone could help me.

Thanks a lot in advance

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Apparently, this is a known issue with Bitdefenders updater. If you do a Google search for bdrsdrv.sys, you`ll see what I mean.

I recommend you uninstall Bitdefender and install a different antivirus programme such as AVG free and the free Zonealarm firewall.

3 of your minidumps crash at bdrsdrv.sys. This is part of Bitdefenders drivers.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. Ngr

Ngr TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply

I have searched google several times in the past, but all i come up with are 3-4 results pages, mostly in foreign languages, but nothing concrete.
    I believe that bitdefender conflicts with something else common in these 3 computers. Thats what i was hoping to find. By looking at the dump i just couldnt come to the same conclusion as you. My understanding was that ntkrnlmp.exe was at fault. Could you please explain how you reached your conclusion about bdrsdrv.sys ?

4. howard_hopkinso

Here is part of the output of one of your minidumps.

Loading User Symbols
    *******************************************************************************
    * Bugcheck Analysis *
    *******************************************************************************

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck C2, {41, 83cbf000, 38bf, 3fedf}

Unable to load image bdrsdrv.sys, Win32 error 2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for bdrsdrv.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for bdrsdrv.sys
    Probably caused by : bdrsdrv.sys ( bdrsdrv+1659 )

Followup: MachineOwner

As you can see, bdrsdrv.sys is the culprit. 2 of your other minidumps crash with exactly the same problem.

Your other two dumps crash at win32k.sys and ntkrnlmp.exe respectively. These are both Windows system files.

The fact that 3 of your 5 minidumps crash with the same error, would suggest that error is the main, if not the only culprit. Couple that with the fact that This is a know issue with Bitdefender and you will see that`s why I came to the conclusion I did.

Regards Howard :)

5. Ngr

Ngr TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Howard

I uninstalled Bitdefender in one of the machines and installed AVG in order to test it. I wonder, is it just me and a few other people having so many problems with Bitdefender. If its a larger scale problem how come its unsolved for a almost a year and between 2 different versions?

Hope all goes well

Nice forum

6. howard_hopkinso

I cannot tell you why Bitdefender is having problems, nor why it doesn`t appear to have been fixed in quite a while.

I suggest you contact the makers of Bitdefender and ask them what the problem is with their crap software lol.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.