I have a problem with my pc and I cannot find a solution

Maurice AA

Firstly, Hello!
This is my first thread and I dunno if I'm doing it right so bare with me 😅
Okay so, my pc randomly freezes and I can't do anything about it unless I restart it from the restart button, I've done all the tests that I could think of and nothing has solved the issue, I did a ram test and had no errors, CPU and GPU stress test and same deal no issues
The thing freezes randomly like. Some days it works just fine and doesn't freeze or anything and some other days it just doesn't wanna cooperate with me, it freezes every 5 minutes from each restart over and over and it's getting rather frustrating
Temps are good, no overheating
Fresh Windows install and all up to date and no viruses in the antivirus
My PC specs are:
Asus B85m-g motherboard (brand new cause the old one burnt out 3 months ago from memory IC failure)
i7 4790(non k)
Sapphire Rx480 8gb
4x4gb 1333 ram aka 16gb
Seagate 7200rpm 1tb drive for games and such and a 256gb Kingston SSD for the operating system
Seasonic S12ii 620watt psu
CPU has an aftermarket cooler dont remember what brand it was
And lastly Windows 10 pro 64bit

For random freezes first suspects are capacitors. Power supply, motherboard and less likely video card. Also since you have LGA socket check that none of pins are bent. Check also you use grounded power plug. Also try with only two sticks of RAM.

For random freezes first suspects are capacitors. Power supply, motherboard and less likely video card. Also since you have LGA socket check that none of pins are bent. Check also you use grounded power plug. Also try with only two sticks of RAM.
I'll try the two ram sticks way and let you know what happens, the socket pins are less likely bent cause it's a new motherboard, I replaced it myself like 3 months ago and none were bent
It could be the PSU cause I had one of those go out on me back when I built the pc but since it had warranty back then I replaced it
Also would a bad PSU cause the pc to freeze more often if I connect my second monitor?
Also I always use grounded power cable
Thanks!

I read about your pc problem then I think your pc is facing the heating problem or your pc fan is not proper running because currently, you are facing the problem, the problem has to face before 2 months and I have changed my pc fan after that currently my pc is perfect
Nope, no overheating

One thing you could have tried is get into the BIOS screen and just sit there...like on the temperature page or the page that shows the PSU voltages and take notice if it freezes there too. That could help narrow down where you need to be looking.

You mentioned you did a RAM test. Did you you use this one:

It takes a long time to run through but you need to boot to it via a bootable USB key to test all memory. You are looking for any results in red on the test screen if you have a problem.

Last edited:
One thing you could have tired is get into the BIOS screen and just sit there...like on the temperature page or the page that shows the PSU voltages and take notice if it freezes there too. That could help narrow down where you need to be looking.

You mentioned you did a RAM test. Did you you use this one:

It takes a long time to run through but you need to boot to it via a bootable USB key to test all memory. You are looking for any results in red on the test screen if you have a problem.
I will try the bios thing but first I gotta check if the pc still turns on :/
I'm not home and there was a thunderstorm and lightning struk the mains back home and my pc was plugged in
Also I did that memtest I flashed some Linux onto my USB drive and used it's memtest and no errors were found

Thunderstorm eh? Well you have to look seriously at PSU damage first and go from there...any component could have been damaged by a storm like that. Here..I connect all my equipment to UPS units with AVR and a grounded plug. Without proper grounding the UPS could never pass high voltage to the ground. Having said that...the more direct the strike the more likely nothing could have saved you. Lightening crossed the sky without a wire..why would a UPS or a power bar stop it? It wouldn't ! =(

You may have a case for a insurance claim if it was lightning?

Nah I'm done with pc stuff
Thanks everyone for your time and help it's really appreciated
All the time and money and effort I've put into this PC poofed away in seconds
I quit

It'll be cold comfort but if it was a lightning storm that killed your PC, a console would not have fared better. In terms of software they're simplified PCs, but the hardware is largely the same, and has the additional disadvantage that the companies that issue them largely don't allow you to troubleshoot or repair them yourself. Any PS or Xbox would be as stone dead from a direct lightning strike as a PC.

While it's possible lightning could have damaged the PSU and even motherboard, the other components and data might be salvageable. The fact you were able to reboot at all afterwards would indicate that.

If you can get a prebuilt on the cheap, go with that as a bridge and use it as a testbench to determine which parts you can salvage. Then you can determine your course re: whether you try another build or sell the parts.

Back