TechSpot

I have a question about my restore discs

By adu123
Aug 19, 2007
  1. I'm running XP home edition (SP2), I've used the "Rcovery CD/DVD creator" software to creat a set of recovery discs while my computer was being infected by spyware, adware....
    I just curious about what happened to those recovery discs? Were they also being infected?

2. wii-ste

wii-ste TS Rookie Posts: 197

Yes, it copies the data from the computer 'as-is'. Reinstall a fresh copy of XP using the install disc.

3. adu123

adu123 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 301

"as-is"? I though it copies the data from the computer's D drive because that's where the recovery files are store in. By the way, how can I get the intall disc?

4. wii-ste

wii-ste TS Rookie Posts: 197

Sorry? U have the restore files already? I thought you meant you were making ones from your computer as it is at the moment?

If they were there before then theoretically they should be ok. I have not used the software, so can only advise generally, not specifically to this software.

5. adu123

adu123 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 301

I've told you in my first post that I already created a set of recovery disc, but the problem is all of them are infected because I created them while my computer was being infected. I don't know how to obtain another set of restore discs.

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,469   +327

first, get the system cleaned

then STOP the restore points and then re-enable it to toss out the bad data.

now recreate the recovery disks

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.