I need a good road bike for long distance

acidosmosis

I am looking into buying a bike for riding long distance's, around 5-20 miles at a time. I would like to be able to buy online if anyone knows where I can find a decent road bike for under $250.

Most of you that are reading this are apparently computer geeks like me and don't get out much so I'm sure you know nothing about cycling ;-), but I thought I would give it a shot.

Just kidding :D

Is this a prank or something, acid? Hehehe...just joking! Have you taken a look at ebay and amazon? I m sure they have them, they sell almost all kinds of consumer goods.

Hehe no its not a prank, I am very seriously looking for a good bike :). I'll check out Amazon, but unless I can find new bikes on Ebay I wont buy from Ebay. I plan on buying new ;)

At first I thought you ment motorcycle/crotch-rocket, and i saw the "under $250" and went !:eek:! I just now thought of bycicle :D Theres tons of new stuff on ebay, I'd defently check it out. Go here for a scearch, I typed in road bike, and first one on the list is new ;)

I checked Amazon, didnt see any bike's there. And Ebay.. well most of the ones I saw didn't look too good ;-), and the ones that were new were WAY over my price range (around $600)

Hehe...those priced over $600 must be racing ones or hardcore mountain bikes....if you can't get satisfied results try google for bikes. I'ven't heard of online bike retailers but its worth a try/

Riding a bike long distances is NOT the way i'd want to go outside and get away from my computer.

If you didn't know long distance biking causes limpitism because the seat presses on some artery down there and over time the artery will just collapse.

Yea, so thats why so many people ride in the Tour Du Pont and smallers races across the world? Hm.. must be a lot of limp noodles out there huh?

Here's my two cents (or dollars) worth. Please note that I was an avid mountain biker a few years ago. The straight answer is: You're not going to find a $200 bike that is good for long distances. $200 will get you a cheap, crappy bike from Wal-mart that's about it. Your best bet is to find a local bike store and talk to them. Tell them that you want something cheap, good for long distances, AND most importantly that you want to test ride some bikes. You'll be amazed at how different bikes feel and handle. Over a 50 to 100 mile trip you'll REALLY notice the difference!

Here are my suggestions:
1) Buy a steel-framed bike over aluminum or titanium
Reason: aluminum is lighter but stiffer, stiffer typically equals sorer on a long ride, titanium is too expensive for you

2) Buy the lightest bike that you can afford
Reason: weight is your biggest enemy, more weight equals more effort especially when climbing hills

3) Rotational weight is MUCH more important than non-rotational weight
Reason: Rotational weight (e.g. wheels, chain rings, pedals) are amplified by centrifical force.

4) Make sure the bike fits you
Reason: If you put too much weight on the seat or too much weight on the handle bars something bad will happen (see previous posts) this can also lead to carpal tunnel syndrome, etc... The solution to this is seat height, stem length, handle bar angle, handle bar style, etc...

5) Expect a "good" bike to be a minimum of $500-800. You should ride some more expensive bikes to get the feel for a good, quality bike.

6) Save some cash for good quality gloves AND good padded biking shorts.

Hey Elcarion your from Tampa? I lived there for a year and went to the International Academy of Design. I'm actually kinda thinking about moving back.

Thanks for the tips. I looked up some bike shops around here and plan to visit them. Also, I found some local lists of events.
Saw a few for 60 or so mile races.

Yeah, I've been "back" in Tampa for about 6 years now. I lived in Virginia, near Washington, DC, for about 6 years before that. I'm from the Tampa Bay area originally. I just couldn't stay away! Up in NC there's some great mountain biking; that's one of things I miss the most about Virginia!
You will definitely want a good, well-fitting bike if you plan to do a 60 mile race. Start out slow with shorter rides like 10 or 20 miles and slowly work your way up to that. It won't take long if you ride at least 3 or 4 times a week. I've done 4 rides that were 50 miles or more on my mountain bike. Two of those were 2-day, 150K (80 mile) events, not races, a.ka. Bike-a-thons. The 30 miles on the second day is the hard part! Races are another thing all together though...those are a lot harder than casual rides.

Elcarion: I have really high endurance, actually even went in the Marines at one time (got out later on). Marines has training once a month when your in delayed entry (was in delayed entry for 7 months). The first time I ran a mile 1/2 I ran so hard and pushed myself so hard that I puked like a maniac after I was done hehe. Seems I can push myself really hard when I want to. I know right now Im sure I could do 5-10 miles no problem. I am planning on being able to ride 20 miles within a month two a month 1/2. At first planning on goning about 5-10 miles every other day. :-D

Thanks for the input. Don't really know anyone around here personally that does this kind of thing.

Search the web for "North Carolina Bicycle Clubs" or similar. You'll find a lot of road, mountain, and combo clubs. Your local bike shop should know of a few as well. It shouldn't take you long to get into shape. Like running, bicycle racing is more mental than physical (once you get in decent shape). Seems like you have the mental part of racing taken care of!

FYI: All events in the US will require you to wear a helmet for liability purposes.

Yea, I was planning on getting a helmet anyway :). I think I would look kinda dorky on a nice bike with the gear and everything but no helmet.. lol

Here is my bike:
http://www.bicycledoctor.co.uk/p_trek4500.html
trek4500.jpg

Not a bike designed for road racing though :p

Nice bike. Just the sort of bike that cycle locks were invented for. Where do you normally keep it? :D

For commuting, what you really need is something cheap (must look cheap, i.e. with bad paint job - something that you can easily add yourself) and preferably old. Something that you don't mind getting stolen.

Originally posted by Nic
Nice bike. Just the sort of bike that cycle locks were invented for. Where do you normally keep it? :D
Heh, I keep it in my house (its an A-Frame), and when I ride it to campus I lock it up. I have a cheap lock too, not cheap enough that simple bolt cutters could break, but cheap enough that an expierenced theft could get around in less than a minute.
*just try to remember to lock it up next to a more expensive bike* :)

Hehe, I need a bike for long distances. Seems I wont be getting one soon though since I will be going to Florida for a week July 6th-13th, and then building a new PC sometime soon after. :(

Originally posted by Nic
For commuting, what you really need is something cheap (must look cheap, i.e. with bad paint job - something that you can easily add yourself) and preferably old. Something that you don't mind getting stolen.
On that note, it's a good idea to replace the seat and wheel quick-releases with something harder to remove.

Originally posted by Elcarion
On that note, it's a good idea to replace the seat and wheel quick-releases with something harder to remove.
I run my chain through my wheels and frame, and then usually take the seat into class with me. Yeh it looks wierd carrying a seat around, but not as wierd as riding a bike without a seat.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
I run my chain through my wheels and frame, and then usually take the seat into class with me. Yeh it looks wierd carrying a seat around, but not as wierd as riding a bike without a seat.

Lol:D ! Carrying a seat into a class, bet many people would stare at you.

Back