I need an app to back up only the main data folders in OS X

rodion15

Hi,
Sometimes I need to back up the main data in a hard drive, such as documents, videos, emails, etc so I can reinstall OS X then restore the data. I'd use this app once only, so I don't need this app to back up regularly. I wonder if there's some (preferably free) app that lets you choose which folders to back up.
I found Migration Assistant, Time Machine and Disk utility-restore aren't very good for this.

Fyi: We found iBackup for our iMac OS x 10.10 *but* it plays games controlling local backups, is not free, and wants to perform backups to the iCloud.

Why isn't Time Machine very good for this? You can choose which folders/directories to NOT back up.

Adding on to SNGX's statement, even if you do an entire Time Machine backup (Your entire disk) You can browse backups as if they were normal folders, copying data out of them as needed. It's not an image file or anything like that that requires software to mount.

In my head Time Machine suits your statement - just usually need a drive dedicated to it.

Adding on to SNGX's statement, even if you do an entire Time Machine backup (Your entire disk) You can browse backups as if they were normal folders, copying data out of them as needed. It's not an image file or anything like that that requires software to mount.

In my head Time Machine suits your statement - just usually need a drive dedicated to it.

I used carbon copy cloner eventually. I chose folder to folder restore to restore from the Users folder I had backed up from a fatally damaged drive but it worked fine.

I guess Time Machine backup is good to backup the whole volume then restore the folders you choose. But I think you cannot backup only choice folders. I couldn't backup the whole volume in this dodgy hard drive I met.

Right, you can't opt-in folders, you can only opt-out. CCC is a pretty good solution too, I kind of forgot about it since I haven't used it in years.

Back