I need help finding a new graphics card

Praetorian27

Hi all, I bought Assassin's Creed Origins and it is stating that my computer doesn't meet to requirements. It states a GeForce GTX 660 is needed for minimum and I have a 650 ti. I have an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard. What graphics card would be an improvement that would still work with my motherboard?

Here are my current computer specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/02/08 20:36:39 Ver: 08.00.14
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page File: 2921MB used, 6549MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Not Available
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 650 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11C6&SUBSYS_36513842&REV_A1
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 6102 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2007 MB
Shared Memory: 4095 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I would say your processor (platform) is going to be your biggest limiting factor. Even if you get a GTX 1060, your CPU will be a huge limiting factor. My previous computer had a Q9550 and it would not run many modern games. I wouldn't spend the money on a new video card for your current build (especially at the current market prices). I would save extra money and look into replacing your aging computer.

Here is a good read to back up my statements: https://www.techspot.com/article/1313-intel-q6600-ten-years-later/

I agree too...unfortunately I don't have a ton of money to get a whole new computer. Is there a better processor card combo that I could use with this Asus motherboard? Or is what I have the max of it's capabilities?

The best you could do is get a faster same gen processor but that would be a waste of money as it would not help at all. I would just deal with what you have for the moment and start saving for a new build.

I agree too...unfortunately I don't have a ton of money to get a whole new computer. Is there a better processor card combo that I could use with this Asus motherboard? Or is what I have the max of it's capabilities?
No....you'll need a new mobo/cpu/ram combo. What kind of budget to you have?

Here's an excellent entry level build combo....then all you would need is a GPU: GTX 1050Ti or GTX 1060. Or pick up a decent used one on ebay or amazon.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3606486

Thanks! I would like to try and reuse my existing case, hard drive and power supply. If I can reuse these parts, what kind of setup do you think I could get for around $600-$700? I would like to not have to upgrade again for some time.

I would like to try and reuse my existing case, hard drive and power supply.
Yes...by all means. You can do that with no issue at all.

what kind of setup do you think I could get for around $600-$700?
A pretty darn good one. Only have 2 questions. 1 - Do you want to go Intel or AMD? 2 - Is your current OS an OEM or retail version. If OEM you might be able to move/migrate to new system hardware. Other wise you'll need a new OS and I suggest a retail version. The difference is OEM is tied to the mobo by micro code and non transferable. The retail OS you install and uninstall as you please.

Yes...by all means. You can do that with no issue at all.

A pretty darn good one. Only have 2 questions. 1 - Do you want to go Intel or AMD? 2 - Is your current OS an OEM or retail version. If OEM you might be able to move/migrate to new system hardware. Other wise you'll need a new OS and I suggest a retail version. The difference is OEM is tied to the mobo by micro code and non transferable. The retail OS you install and uninstall as you please.

The operating system I have is retail. The computer was built piece by piece.

With my budget in mind, what parts would you suggest? I'd like a setup that will last a few years without needing to upgrade.

Back