I need help with upgrading my CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an old setup laying around that i recently decided to put a little money into

i knew it had a celeron 1.8ghz/128/400 on it already
i looked up my motherboard and saw it was compatible with 478 socket p4's with ht so i purchased one

when i removed the heatsink, fan, and cpu i found the the old cpu was a 370 socket! what do i do to fit my 478 socket into my setup?

please help!
thanks
lgaland

So it's Socket 370?

Well I guess 370 is so old that they dont have processors for them on Newegg :haha:

funny eh?

well maybe you can find my motherboard online and tell me why it has a 370 socket instead of a 478 socket like it is supposed to

MicroStar 7005 ver2
Sis 651 chipset
Sis 962L Media I/O chipset

Why not go to Tiger Direct or NewEgg and buy a 478 Mobo. They are practically giving them away.( I just bought one) Get a new compatible heatsink ,as the old one won't be able to cool the new cpu. Don't forget the Arctic Silver.:cool:

Well i am going to return the 478 socket processor, get a brand new motherboard and get a newer 775 socket processor

can i use a fan from a 478 socket p4 for a 775 socket p4?

As long as you get a none oem CPU, it will come with a heat sink/fan. The fan on your current CPU isn't the same socket size. Also is not efficient for the heat that a 775 produces if you where to modify it.

can i use a fan from a 478 socket p4 for a 775 socket p4?
No socket 775 uses a different fan mount than 478. The 775 fan uses 4 holes on the motherboard and 4 clips or screws to hold down the fan.

The 775 also has no pins on the cpu which means instalation is slightly different than older cpus. Instead of sitting the cpu on the carrier that moves it into final position over the socket and lockes it down. You sit a 775 cpu directly into the socket and secure a metal clip (built into the socket) over it to hold it in.This process should be in the instructions for your motherboard once you get it.

dmill89 said:
No socket 775 uses a different fan mount than 478. The 775 fan uses 4 holes on the motherboard and 4 clips or screws to hold down the fan.

i know that it will fit but i dont want the new cpu overheating

the fan is a intel with an aluminum heatsink
would it keep the faster 775 socket p4 cool enough?

Sounds to me that you are (quite simply) due for a new build. By the time all is said and done, you'll have enough money tied up in that system to have one. Here's a suggestion:
INTEL C2D E6300
ASUS P5B motherboard
1GB CORSAIR VALUE SELECT DDR2667
SAPPHIRE X1900GT Video Card
250 GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA 16mb PRT Hard Drive
SeaSonic S12 500 watt PSU
case and all of that is your choosing.
This is an affordable build that will give you very good performance.

it does seem like alot of money to put into an old system, chuck

but im spending within a range of 130-150 to upgrade a very obsolete setup into a decent one...this isnt my main machine, or even my secondary one so im not looking to get a completely new setup

lgaland said:
it does seem like alot of money to put into an old system, chuck

but im spending within a range of 130-150 to upgrade a very obsolete setup into a decent one...this isnt my main machine, or even my secondary one so im not looking to get a completely new setup
Cant be done.. seriously. Especially not the way you are trying to go, assuming 130-150 US $.

You are forgetting you'll need new memory (ddr or ddr2) and likely a new power supply (370's usually used vtx, but even if you lucked out and have an atx psu, it wont have the watts/amps for a new motherboard).

My best suggestion is the $95 combo @ NewEgg. Athlon 3400+ Socket 939 and Asus A8R series Xpress 200 motherboard. From there, pop it into an Antec Sonata-II case w/ 450W power ($49 after rebate) then whatever change you have left for memory. It has integrated Radeon for 3d graphics and integrated NIC and audio. PCI-Ex16 slot for adding a beefier 3d card down the road + enough watts and rear case fan for cooling.

the p4 2.93 ghs/1mb/533fsb - 55
ECS P4 M800PRO-M V 2.0 motherboard - 50
maybe a fan and heatsink for 10 if necessary

totals around 115, i dont need more ram, i have 512mb 333mhz laying around, but i might be getting a gig from tigerdirect for 60
and the motherboard wont require a newer power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back