I need Step by Step Dual Boot instructions for XP and Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Lancelot

Okay I'll say it simply IM EASILY confused and I'm having the most impossible time with Google to find me a step by step walk though for *****s on how to Install XP Pro and Linux Ubuntu on the same harddrive as a Dual Boot.

So Heres the Hard drive

its a 320gb SATA 3.0gb/s 7200RPM Hard drive.

Its going in my new computer that I'm putting together and should be at my front door anytime today or tomorrow.

I have NEVER set up a Dual Boot before and I don't know what I'm doing so I need a Step By Step guide that even a ***** could understand. On how to Install XP Pro first, set up the partitions, and then install Linux so I can get the nifty little dual boot screen and be able to pick the OS I want to run before it moves past that screen.

for refrence I have XP Pro and Ubuntu 6.06

Its pretty easy to do now.
*You'll want to boot up with XP and get that installed first. But instead of letting XP take the whole drive, you'll want to give it 20 gigs or so, more if you refuse to change install paths to D:\Program Files.
*Just set up that one partition for Windows at the moment. Once that one is created and formatted install Windows as normal.
*Update/Patch your XP

*Boot computer with Linux install cd in drive
*Follow on screen instructions until the partitioning part. There you will want to manually set up the partitions you will need a Swap and a / at the very least, some distros may want you to set up a /home as well. Personally I wouldn't give the total space between these more than 15 gigs unless you know you want it otherwise. Leave the remaining hard drive space unpartitioned.
*Continue Linux installation.

You now have a dual boot setup, Linux will set that all up for you. Now boot back into windows and go to Disk Management and partition and format the Unallocated Space or whatever it is called which is the rest of your hard drive space after those Linux partitions you made.

Also you may want to get Ubuntu 7.04 since it is the current official release.

I think its harder, but less messy (don't have to worry about bootloaders and partitions).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back