I need Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar man

Ok, I recently got a computer off of my grandpas rental trailers porch. 2 actually. Together, they had everthing needed to run. Today, I finally plugged it up and found that it had an unactivated XP on it. I took my OEM Dell XP OS and it said that I had to activate it withing 30 days. Not knowing it was OEM, I tried and the phone machine said they didn't recognize it.

Now, I would like to know if I could obtain it for really cheap, or free?

Also, would it run ok due to the fact that the computer has 256MB Ram, with a Geforce Mx400 (Microsoft)? Graphics Card? I am afraid that to much ram could cause glitches, etc.

You need to buy OS for them then... Win98 isn't that great, You can XP/home or Pro with 256MB of RAM it's not going to be fast though..

If you do not have the product ID or the Product Key, you do not really have Windows... Dell does not distribute Windows that way. So they (whomever they are) did not complete the install. You might check using one the Windows Id programs, or Belarc Advisor, but it is likely a waste of time.
Windows may be just perfect for that machine.
To get the product ID for install, you have to buy it. If the computer is not at least a 10 GB hard drive with the capability for 512 mb of memory, you are wasting your time.
Please tell us the brand and model, or the part number off the center of the motherboard. Windows could be fun... It is no longer a target of viruses and spyware. It works on anything... though you may have to download drivers... and it is practically free... except you may have to find an install disc someplace... if so, use only Windows 98 Second Edition.

Ok, It has one stick of 256, and another open slot. I can stick my other stick of 256 in it to find out. You see, it doen'st matter since I really want Windows 98 so I can play some of these older games (looks at Odyssey: The Search For Ulysses).

I am thinking about getting Unbunto. In fact, I am currently downloading it.

If you need a Windows OS I really recommend Windows 2000. Aside from a really slow startup on old computers it will run just as fast as 98, and it won't crash as long as the hardware is good.

hnn... I know you can still buy older OS's for cheap at the computer shows that come around my neck of the woods (Eastern US). The only problem is that Microsoft does not support 98 anymore so getting updates will be nearly impossible unless you can find a service pack style update file.

If you don't want winXP you could try win2000. Or linux, but thats you're call.

edit, thats what I get for not posting and idling. XD

madboyv1 said:
The only problem is that Microsoft does not support 98 anymore so getting updates will be nearly impossible.

If you have 98 and have gone to the update page only to find out that it says there are errors, fret not. Do a search for IE6 and install it. Then surf to the update page again and it will finally show about 30 updates available.

If you have a 98 disk somewhere and the key codes, I will say that those key codes can be used several times on different systems and they will activate.

SNGX1275 said:
If you need a Windows OS I really recommend Windows 2000. Aside from a really slow startup on old computers it will run just as fast as 98, and it won't crash as long as the hardware is good.

Does it have a Dos mode? I would prefer having an option just like in 98.

rickk1 said:
If you have 98 and have gone to the update page only to find out that it says there are errors, fret not. Do a search for IE6 and install it. Then surf to the update page again and it will finally show about 30 updates available.

If you have a 98 disk somewhere and the key codes, I will say that those key codes can be used several times on different systems and they will activate.

I don't have any disks except the OEM XP disk that came with the Dell. So what your saying is that If I install IE6 on 98, then it will allow me to get the updates? Also, can having 256/512 MB ram hurt 98 or 2000? I read there is a bug saying that if you have a certain amount or more there will be visual bugs and crashes. I am going to call around here to find out what I can get from them. There are also a lot of piracy-addicts around here, so I'll have to be careful! :X

I would definatly recommend Win2000 for older hardware over Win98 and WinXP.
Windows 2000 runs pretty smooth on older hardware.

Is there a reason you need Windows? Why not go with Ubuntu or a free OS? Then you don't have to worry about being legal and paying for an OS?

mopar man said:
Ok, It has one stick of 256, and another open slot. I can stick my other stick of 256 in it to find out. You see, it doen'st matter since I really want Windows 98 so I can play some of these older games (looks at Odyssey: The Search For Ulysses).

I am thinking about getting Unbunto. In fact, I am currently downloading it.

Okay, I understand, yes stick another 256MB in there but 98 really doesn't need that extra RAM 256MB is more than enough.

mopar man said:
Does it have a Dos mode? I would prefer having an option just like in 98.
Nope. Its just like XP in that sense. If you've got old hardware though you may have decent luck with dual booting between DOS and 2000.

Well, how can I tell how old it is? It seems like its made in 2001-3. It has an MSI mobo, with an amd processor (7?? Mhz). It runs Windows XP GREAT, and it ran the TES Construction Set great also. It has a 400mx gpu. Can Ubunto run a game that will not run on XP due to it being to old, using WINE or something?

By the way, I was wanting Windows 98 because I know it pretty well and would like to be sure it will play a few games I have that are older (Myst, Odyssey).

Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn runs perfectly fine on old PCs. Also, my dad's PC has a dual boot with XP and 98 and it's got a gig of RAM and is working perfectly. IMO, download the unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack from here. It patches the OS quite a lot and updates the look to that of Windows 2000. I have it installed on my dad's PC and it runs great.

mopar man said:
Well, how can I tell how old it is? It seems like its made in 2001-3. It has an MSI mobo, with an amd processor (7?? Mhz). It runs Windows XP GREAT, and it ran the TES Construction Set great also. It has a 400mx gpu. Can Ubunto run a game that will not run on XP due to it being to old, using WINE or something?

By the way, I was wanting Windows 98 because I know it pretty well and would like to be sure it will play a few games I have that are older (Myst, Odyssey).

You can even run XP on 98 laptop with PII 266Mhz and 256MB it works! Anyway stick with NT Os (XP) You can run some DOS games in XP which will drop down into DOS. Old Nuken, Quake, Raptor all were dos games they'll work.

I think I mis-stated what I said. I have tried Odyssey numerus times to no avail on xp systems. That is why I would like to get 98, along with its ms-dos mode. I was also wondering if anyone knew where I could get it/If they had one they dont need. Also, will Ubunto play games that are compatable with windows? If I had to I would download WINE, which I have no clue exactly what it is aside from it is supposed to run windows programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back