I need Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you lost the disk, do you still have the box? If so just go download it and use the key that came with it. If you cant do either of those I'm almost certain someone will tell you to go buy another key.

Yeah.. That's an old, old trick. However, if your XP sticker is stuck to the side of the computer as it should be you'll be able to use any XP disk for that version (ie. Home or Professional).

just go download it and use the key that came with it.
You can't download authentic Xp :confused: (maybe a corrupted one!)

Yeah.. That's an old, old trick. However, if your XP sticker is stuck to the side of the computer as it should be you'll be able to use any XP disk for that version (ie. Home or Professional).
Umm Wrong! :confused:

I'm almost certain someone will tell you to go buy another key.
Yes, here:
XP Home: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511
XP Pro: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116515

You can even contact MS and state your CD is damaged or missing, to get a new one
(but you need the authentic key of course, for your specific version).

There is also the possibility that you have a Restore CD (which may not look like the original Xp Setup CD)
Or you could contact your computer hardware manufacture to have this Restore CD replaced (or sold back to you)

Or you could have a hidden partition on your HardDrive holding the "image" of Windows Xp
Usually being accessed by some Function button (best to contact the hardware manufacture on this too)
Or you could download Gparted live BootCd and check if you possibly have this "hidden partition"

In any case, best to put your System Specs information in your Profile

Actually, no, not wrong. The value in a kit is not the media, it's the license key. Although you may not make illegal copies of the media, you MAY borrow a disk to install it IF you have a valid Windows license for the product you're trying to install. Pardon the forum link, but this is confirmed here.

Also, you can have Microsoft send you replacement media for a price...or you can order it from places like this

Trust me on this one.. We're Microsoft Registered Partners and OEM System Builders. There are, in fact, instances where you can create your own slip-streamed media to distribute, provided you have the appropriate license to do so (Dell is one example of this).

You can't SELL a license buy itself, according to the OEM EULA, but you CAN borrow media and we as techs can use OUR media as long as you have a valid license.

Let me just go over that again, having run my own computer shop for many years, and having had many communications with MS specifically about this.

To be fully certified or legally running Windows Xp you must own:

1. The CD key (or COA label) Which incidentally must be attached to your computer (this part is known ;) )

2. The media itself ie The Windows CD (or image on the HardDrive, as in most\all OEM computers)
Yes that's right, you must have the media to be legal

Here's the one that I argued with MS on many occasions!
3. You must also have the book (ie that green book - usually) that comes with Windows.

All 3 must be owned by a private individual By the way that's 3 things!
Label
Media
Book

Now here's the thing about computer shops, and technicians.
They are legally allowed to use any media (ie Windows disc) that is the same version of the Windows label, even if the media has not been supplied by the customer! What? Yes that's your point. A computer shop does not legally require the original media (ie any copy will do) because a computer shop is actually selling Windows CDs, and therefore they do not need to open any original packaging (available or not) But can actually use the "shop" disc.

Yes, a private owner of Windows can use any Windows CD (corresponding to their label) But. They must also legally own the media (and book :rolleyes: )

Strange ruling I know; but that's that.

I think I understand your angle.. But those things are for someone purchasing an OEM computer build. You are correct that if someone buys a PC from a shop, the license sticker by itself is NOT sufficient to qualify as a legal copy of the OS.

However, if you lose that media, you are still a legal owner of the product. You do not invalidate your license to use the product by losing the media.

See, recently Microsoft significantly changed the EULA for XP. They loosened up a little bit, and now even allow an end user to BUY an OEM copy of Windows, provided they are building themselves a computer at the time. This makes them a "System Builder" per the EULA. If you're a Microsoft Partner I can provide you the link to read this.

As a symbol that they're finally loosening restrictions, lately we had a client bring in their tower with a counterfeit copy of XP on it. We called Microsoft, explained what was going on and Microsoft gave them a new key over the telephone, absolutely free of charge. That impressed me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back