I think I blew it up! Windows Vista issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

E46Razor

Ok, here is the issue!

A Lady friend called me and said she can't remember her password on her laptop (Sony Vaio), I said no problem I'll come over and reset it. I brought my trusty Ultimate boot CD and off I went, the Vaio was off so I loaded the CD and powered on and booted up, cleared the password and got out.

My question is this: Will using Ultimate boot CD (Designed for XP) cause boot up problems in Vista?

The computer will not boot in any mode and I have ran the Vista start up repair disk 5 times and each time it says that it can not be repaired automatically.

Did I BLOW it up or what?

Thank you,

Mark

Yes the folder structure is different
And what happens is the disk actually creates these folders if they're not there (how bad is that ?!!)

Anyway I usually say use this instead https://www.techspot.com/vb/post633339-2.html

So now you know! (at least two CDs to create there)

------------

Now the problem, and how to fix it

Well even if you Repair Vista: http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_repair_options.htm
You'll still have these extra user folders (which probably can't be removed, due to ownership issues)
I'd say remove the HardDrive, back it up in another working computer
Then re-install Windows Vista

That's what I'd do :)

Thank you kimsland for your reply.

I am truly hoping that someone may have an option that is short of reinstalling the OS.

Mark

Just exactly what error message do you get when you boot?

Anything in additional on the error msgs on the repair?

Would think a repair attempt would get as far as a chkdsk but have you tried that on your own?

and question about your statement
I'll come over and reset it. I brought my trusty Ultimate boot CD and off I went, the Vaio was off so I loaded the CD and powered on and booted up, cleared the password and got out.

Just what is it you did to "remove" her password or otherwise modify her hardisk? What Ulimateboot utilities did you do? actions did you do? that touched the hard drive? Just booting from Ultimate CD shouldn't affect her hard drive (I think). It's the tools/actions you did once booted from Ultimate CD.

/************ Edit *******************/
Am guessing your Ultimate CD is similar as UBCD4Windows. You boot into XP from CD. Vista never starts. Her hard disk is just a second drive to an "emulated" boot drive that's actually in memory. So its the things you did that touched the harddrive and assumed an XP file setup that would have changed things

I used the UBCD4Windows that you have mentioned. I booted to the disk, selected launch the UBCD, after it loaded I went to the Start menu then to programs, I selected Password Tools and then NTPWEdit, After it loaded I hit (Re)open and selected two profiles, Administrator and one other then hit unlock on both profiles. I then exited and rebooted.

I have not been able to get the system to boot up since, I get no error message at all it just keeps restarting each time I select Start windows Normally or any other choice including Safe mode.

I hope you can understand my steps, if not I will try again.

I have done this on a few other systems and have never had this kind of problem.

Thank you very much,

Mark

I find it strange that it cannot be repaired
I did supply the Vista Repair link guide above, did you follow every step?

Also those boot discs do actually write to the system drive even if you don't do anything. I confirmed this by using one on a Windows98 computer. I booted up the disc, did nothing, shutdown, then started Windows, and the entire user documents folder had gone to Xp style c:\documents and settings\My documents. Which was most irritating

1. I've created and used UBCD4Win CD's myself (they were always created on XP Pro environment) so am familiar with the disk
  2. A brief look online at NTPWEdit v0.3. It claims to work for Vista tho i haven't seen anyone verify. Regardless, that's less the issue then you clearly had something happen that makes Vista no longer work
  3. Did you modify the Administrator account or was it a different user id?
  4. Sounds as tho you make it to the Advanced Startup Options. But before exploring those or other options could you find out the exact Vaio model? Would like to see what (if any) options Sony may have also provided on that system Click here should take to view Sony Vaio support and tell you how to identify the model. Then post it here (also if might know which version of Vista was running as well)

Thanks!

The Vaio is model# VGN-N385E, I am still trying to verify which Vista is loaded on it.

Thank you very much for your help with my problem.

There were 4 profiles on the system starting with the Admin. I went in and unlocked all profiles because she said she didn't even know the other accounts existed.

Start here and see if you have a System Restore that will work

- Not sure if any underlying issues if can't logon as Administrator should it be needed (we'll find out!
- Not sure what the other account userids were but, (or is the case) but fyi.... Windows sometimes has some accounts it sets up for its own use (like their .NET software)

LookinAround

If I could just get it to boot up I would gladly logon to admin or any other account for that matter. I cant help but think this has something to do with a rights or security issue, I mean all I did was clear a password. I have searched and searched but can not find anything to support my theory.

Thanks again,

Darn.. that's too bad about restore point.

re: rights/security... maybe.. tho would think if it were 'simply' accesss/security the machine would boot but then not let you do anything! But seeing as how Admin account was involved let alone just the fact it's Vista makes anything possible.

i gotta run out shortly so can't help with anything now.. tho can msge you again later. I will ask as you're getting to Advanced Startup Options are you seeing all of these (click here?)

And (thought just kicked into my head... ) do you know? or can check what version UBCD4Win you built? And did you base it on XP Home or XP Pro? Will have to check back later.

OK. I'm out of here. Just as a warning thought came into my head....

Is your friends computer a 64bit machine?

Almost certainly you created a 32bit XP boot CD am guessing

This is really strange because it gets to the screen that says Microsoft Corp. with the scrolling gold lines then the mouse pointer comes up but then goes away and it restarts, over, and over, and over....

ARGH !

I ran a boot log to see what if anything is going on. Most of the drivers are not even loading, maybe that is to be expected I don't know.

Am back.. but will be back and forth at computer so may long periods before i can respond

1. You're thinking as i do... I was going to have you run a boot log next. Depending on the drivers and what it says may be bad or ok

2. My earlier issue...i pulled up the specs for the Sony. It supports 64 bit computing and most likely is running a 64bit version of vista (just my guess). And a pure 32 bit XP which then tries hitting the disk layout is probably going to cause some hiccups

/************ EDIT *************************/
But attach the bootlog to a post

Here. YOu might find anything in this search useful... (its Sony's result on Product=VGNN385e Focus: Startup REcovery)

click here

Won't be really freed up for awhile.. u can look thru and the wait till i can return.. or continue on own.. or maybe someone else will see the thread...is up to you

i u prefer wait i will check in when i can.. g;luck!

The boot log had entries all the way back to 07, I had to edit them to meet the size limit on the forum.

Thank you again for your help.

- As i recall, those "not loaded" messages are OK. It's just walking thru the load process and there are many drivers it doesn't load (by choice). It's FAIL to load to watch out for (didn't see any)
- Not sure if a clue or what but cdfs.sys is the last driver to load. It happens to be for your CD driver
- Did try to use the no auto reboot on error option from the menu? Then when fatal error won't auto reboot but stop. And u might see a helpful message on the screen
- You remember chkdsk in XP? I'm not sure how vista does it or which tool it requires to do the equivalent and how to do it from ur current startup position (I'm still a hardened XP user :rolleyes:) it but i;d look to find how to run chkdsk or it's equivalent to verify and fix any problems found with the disk file structure (which was probably affected)

- Hopefully no issues with Admin account password but one step at a time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back