I want to connect an old monitor to a new system

My 11-year-old Dell Dimenson 9200 XPS 410 just bit the dust. I have ordered a new Dell XPS 8930 tower, but was told that I could use my old Dell monitor (20" flat screen) by getting an HDMI to VGA adapter.

I ordered the adapter but I can not get it to completely slide into the connector and I think that's because of a little spacer-like nut on one leg of the monitor's VGA plugin. My husband thinks he can get that off and then it would work. But it seems to me that if I have the right adapter it should work without that. I am posting a group of pictures here showing the connector on my monitor, the Dell adapter I was led to on Dell's chat (for $32.90), and the adapter I actually ordered on Amazon for $7.99. I do notice that the Dell adapter seems to stick up/out whereas the one I ordered is flush with the case and that's why I'm wondering if I have the right part. I'm hoping someone can help me.

Attachments

• adapter.JPG
    adapter.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 1
The longer threaded leg pointed to by the orange arrow should be carefully removed. It is actually a part of the VGA terminal that sticks out of the back of the PC and it should have stayed in the back of the PC. Its threads are stuck to the blue connector's securing screw and was unscrewed along with the blue connector's screw. Look at the back of the PC and see a corresponding missing screw where the VGA terminal is. Note that the other screw came out fine. Be careful and don't damage the exposed threads of the screw because you have to screw it back to its original position. If you use a pair of pliers, cushion it with a rag, paper towel or similar thing.

Thank you so much. That was definitely the problem. So now I've learned something new. I appreciate your response!

You're welcome. I'm just glad you could follow what I was trying to say.

Back