I want to know on how to download the Windows Codename Longhorn DDK driver DLL file

I cannot seem to find the Windows Codername Longhorn DDK driver DLL file. Because I am having some trouble finding the download link for this DLL file. So can you give me the website to download this DDK driver DLL file please? Because I looked everywhere, but I couldn't seem to find it. But I know that it's there somewhere. And also, I would like to really know on how to install and run the DevCon.exe utility. Because when I click on the .exe file, the DevCon utility does not open up at all. I tried everything I could, but I just had no luck with getting this open. So can you please let me know on how to install and run this DevCon.exe file? Then I will be happier. But someone told me to move the DevCon.exe file to the Windows system32 folder, and then they said it should work. I tried this process, but the problem here is that it didn't work at all and nothing happened. Why is that for? Well anyway, so please let me know on where to download the DDK driver DLL file. So this way, I can finally run the DevCon.exe utility which should work after I download the DDK driver which is the DDL file. Because it won't work for me. I typed in DevCon.exe into my run command prompt, but it gave an error and said it wasn't found. So please help me out here on this issue that I am having. And also let me know on how to install the DevCon.exe as well as the DDK driver which is that DDL file. And can you also give me some instructions on how to do this process for me? Because I would appreciate that very much from you. And don't forget to get back to me as soon as you can. I will be waiting for my response from you. So thank you very much!

I've used devcon myself in the past. It's a single file executable. You don't need any dll or other downloads to run it. However, note devcon has both a 32 and 64 bit version.

1. You should be downloading to your desktop(look in here for the download link
2. Now copy the 32 or 64 bit version (appropriate for you Windows OS) to C:\Windows\System32
3. Note: You must also run devcon with admin rights (if you're running Vista or Win 7) so open an elevated command prompt etc.

How do I run the DevCon tool with administrator rights?

I'm not really sure on how to do this process. Like what are administrator rights? I am running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 right now. And my computer actually came with Home Edition on it. But here is what I did. I downloaded XP Professional with Service Pack 2 from a torrent file. And maybe that's what the problem is here, because I cannot seem to make it work. So what I am thinking here is that my copy of Windows is not genuine, or I just don't have a legal copy of windows installed. So I better go back to Home Edition. Is that okay to do here? But what I really want to use this DevCon tool for is to make my single core processor show 2 virtual processors in my Task Manager. Because right now I only have 1 Cpu graph still, which is not very good for me. By the way, I do have a Pentium 4 processor with hyperthreading technology support, but I never have tried to hyperthread my processor yet. So that should be good to see. And I will see if if makes the speed of my computer a little bit faster (which I bet it will) go a lot faster with 2 cpu graphs showing in my Task Manager. Right? It probably will speed it up like about 20% of it. So that should be really cool. Well anyway, so please let me know about what administrator rights mean, because I am not sure on what that is. And also, let me know if I should remove my Windows XP Professional and just go back to Home Edition. All righty then? Also, does hyperthreading work in Home Edition, Professional or both? So just explain to me here on what I should really here, so I can get the DevCon tool to run just fine with no problem. All right? So don't forget to get back to me very soon and let me know much more about this important stuff. So thank you very much for your time!

1. "Running with admin rights" applies to Vista and Win 7. So doesn't apply to XP
2. But i also think you're chasing something that doesn't exist. I believe Pentium 4 only has one CPU so you'll only every see one CPU. "Hyperthreading" is a technology. It doesn't give you a 2nd CPU when you only have one to begin with

3. Regardless, devcon can't do what you want (you only have one CPU to begin with). Devcon is really just a device manager substitute. And not easily understood anyway for beginners

Finally, we can't support torrent downloads of Windows so you should go back to the version that came with your computer and live with it. You can't get a 2nd CPU when it doesn't exist. Sorry

About my Pentium 4 processor and the administrator rights

So there is how it goes. Not all Pentium 4's have hyperthreading technology. But I know that my Pentium 4 has hyperthreading for sure. Because my Pentium 4 is about 2.80 gigahertz and it said that my computer has hyperthreading support. Also a lot of newer Pentium 4 processors have hyperthreading too like the 3.06 Gigahertz, but I don't have that. But I know that my Task Manager can show 2 Cpu graphs because like when I go the Cpu History, it just says there that only "One Grpah Per Cpu" is selected. But it doesn't say "One Graph, All Cpus" So that means I know I really have hyperthreading for sure. And I already have ACPI Multiprocessor selected in my Device Manger too. And I changed my bootloader to Hal.dll, something like that. But now I know why it doesn't show my 2 Cpu graphs, because I have to run this DevCon tool and type those certain scripts into the DevCon utility. Then finally, I should see 2 cpu graphs for sure. So I know that this is going to work for sure! And my computer is a Dell Dimension 4600. And it said in my computer manual that my computer has hyperthreading technology support. So I think you are mistaken there. Sorry about that, but I don't really believe. Also again with the adminstrator rights issue, it doesn't work with WIndows XP at all? Like it doesn't work with Home Edition or Professional? So that means in order to run the DevCon tool, I have to get either Windows Vista or Windows 7 in order to run the DevCon utility? That sounds really crazy to me though. Are you really sure you know what you're talking about? Because I am not too sure if I believe you at all. But anyway, if I do want to get Vista or 7, that means I will lose everything in my computer? I hope that's not the case, that's all I can say to you. So do you know if there is a way to just upgrade to Vista or WIndows 7 without losing all my stuff in my computer? Because I don't want to wipe out everything and reinstall my Windows, that would be not good at all. So just let me know if there is a way to just upgrade to either Vista or 7 without removing any of my files and programs. Then that would be good. Or I can dual boot my Windows XP and I can either get any Vista version that I want, or I can get Windows 7 too of any version of the sort. Also, I would like to really know on how to dual boot my WIndows XP, so that I can select Vista or 7. Because this would make the process much better and faster, then just a single operating system like my WIndows XP. Well anyway, sorry to keep bothering you on these issues, but I really need more help on all of this stuff, because I am not sure still on how to run the DevCon utility. And also I am not sure still on what administrator rights are yet. I mean I am pretty smart at computers, but I am not really good at like networking computers and stuff like that. Like I even do not know on how to open up my computer case and replace my processor, or replace my motherboard! I am not good at all with that computer stuff. I am mostly good at using the internet and other things as well. So, all I am saying to you is this. Please let me know on how to run this DevCon tool on my WIndows XP, because I know that is works on XP. But why do you need administrator rights for to run it? That just doesn't make any sense to me at all. I mean this DevCon utility should run with all XP, Vista and 7. So please get back to me on this issue that I am having, and just explain more of this to me, because I really want to start running the DevCon tool a lot. So thank you very much again!

You should really try and break up your megaparagraphs to a few smaller ones, its very difficult to read.

Just about the only real difference in XP Pro and XP Home is Pro can join Domains. So I very much doubt you are going to lose any features by going back to Home.

XP Home SP2 and above can see multi core procesors (Virtual ones like hyperthreading included).

You've gone messing with core system files it seems (hal.dll, possibly others, couldn't read your entire posts), so I think the best course of action here is to:
1. While you are in your pirated version of XP, get the standalone install of Service Pack 2.
2. Make a slipstreamed version of XP Home SP2 or SP3. Here are the instructions for SP2, SP3 is pretty much the same: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
3. Install XP Home SP2 or SP3.
4. If it still doesn't work get this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256

Also quit worrying about administrator rights, like LookinAround said in his first point in post #4 in this thread - it doesn't apply to you in XP. Only in Windows Vista and 7

Hi SNGX1275 :)

Thanks for correcting me (re: viewing Hyperthreads vs. just CPUSs) in Task Manager graphs. I've learned something new from this thread as well! :approve:

I've attached a screenshot just for good measure.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 6
I thought that hyper threading being enabled with Intel CPUs, was also, at least partially, hardware and BIOS dependent. (or "?" if you prefer).

If anybody cares, my Core i3-530 puts up four core traces in the Windows 7 (Pro) task manager. Yes, in case you're wondering, I'm too lazy to stuff up a screen shot.

Back