IBM announces world's "fastest" computer chip

By Jos
Sep 6, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. IBM has announced what it claims is the world's fastest microprocessor chip. The z196 is an enterprise grade quad-core part that boasts 1.4 billion transistors on a 512-square millimeter surface and can handle 50 billion instructions per second. Clocked at 5.2GHz, we're sure many hardcore overclockers have seen their own chips operate at similar or even higher speeds, but IBM's new chip doesn't require any complicated cooling to achieve this.

Read the whole story
  2. wow!!! i have the MSI U100 Series laptop with a 0.99GB RAM and thats not good enough for me thats why i'm upgrading my RAM, but my laptop can only handal 3.5GB RAM at the most witch is so upsetting because i want one of those chips and mines a DDR2 witch is even worse, so if you are reading this comment and are lucky enough to get one ...... then you are one lucky son of ......... i'm not going to finish that.
  3. KG363

KG363 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

I actually have the fastest computer chip but I'm hiding it and it's all mine and no one else's
  4. what the-...

it may be fast but can it run Crysis?
  5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I hope it can't defeat itself at Tic Tac Toe.
  6. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 626   +122

So if the stock speed will be 5.2GHz, what will it be able to do on LN2?
  7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,397   +831

Does anybody understand this?
  8. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

There was a guy who wandered past the house the other day seemingly talking to his invisible friend....he said the same thing guest did....hmmm....I think maybe the mother ship is on its way.
  9. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 196

What are the applications for this processor?
  10. All of them! ...It's even got half the amount of power required to efficiently run IE6.
  11. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

LOL, The good old can it run Crysis question.... :D

12. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 2,057   +8

That guy is going to keep wandering.

The mothership left more than 200 years ago. ;)
  13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,397   +831

You have a slight technical misunderstanding, to which I say, "let there be light"!
    IE"6" (Internet Explorer 6 (six), has very modest hardware requirements. However, the malware that you download with it, is what actually pushes up CPU usage to about 129%..
    You sound almost bitter....:rolleyes:
  14. Easy enough to get the chip, just take $2million to IBM and buy the mainframe that this is designed for. Does NOT run in a PC of any make!!
  15. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 2,057   +8

Not at all. Missed your last chance.:haha:
  16. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,044   +37

Guests know best... and my computer runs a 2GB Processor with 3.21GHz of RAM.
  17. Leeky

Does it? :haha:
  18. Trillionsin

You didnt read the full comment, eh? It was a joke. ;)

19. Leeky

Don't worry, I was being witty, I knew what you put.. lol.
  20. Trillionsin

Now where do they put the mem-sistors?

Man, technology is still growing exponentially... almost like its self evolving through our hands or something. (crazy guy here)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.