IBM claims to have made a new battery design that is environment friendly

nanoguy

Staff member
Forward-looking: It may seem like battery technology isn't improving as fast as our many devices, but IBM says the wait is almost over and worthwhile. Researchers are currently testing prototype pouch batteries that can outperform the best batteries we have today, while also being cheaper and safer.

IBM's research arm may have found a way to replace traditional lithium-ion batteries with a new solution that is better and safer in almost every way. The new technology combines quick charging capabilities and low flammability with the distinct advantage of requiring materials that are plentiful and environmentally friendly.

One of the biggest problems faced by today's industry is that demand is increasing faster than our ability to produce reliable batteries for mobile devices, power tools, cars, trucks and even airplanes. Everything is going electric, but the resources to make lithium-ion batteries -- heavy metals like manganese, cobalt, nickel -- require mining, which is harmful for the environment and the workers involved.

IBM researchers say they have a solution that removes the need for nickel and cobalt to build the cathode, as well as a new liquid electrolyte that has a lower chance of igniting when something goes wrong thanks to a higher flash point. There's also a lower chance that these new batteries will form so-called lithium "dendrites" which lead to performance degradation and short circuits.

If the safety features sound good, the performance is even more promising.

Researchers explain they can tailor the new battery for various use cases thanks to its ability to outperform existing lithium-ion batteries. The current prototype pouch battery is able to reach an 80 percent charge in five minutes, and has an energy density of 800 Wh/L, something possible only with a state-of-the-art lithium nickel cobalt aluminum oxide battery.

The new technology also holds potential for grid storage and electric vehicle applications, with a power density exceeding 10,000 W/L, which is better than what can be achieved with traditional battery chemistries.

The longevity story is a little less clear, with IBM claiming "our battery demonstrated hundreds to thousands of cycles with 80 percent retention of its original capacity."

Perhaps the best aspect of this new battery tech is that it's said to be considerably cheaper to manufacture at scale and that it doesn't require the use of conflict minerals. To that end, IBM Research is partnering with companies like Mercedes-Benz R&D, Sidus, and Central Glass.

IBM says the three key materials needed to build the new battery can be extracted from seawater, which is why it's considered less damaging to the environment than terrestrial mining. Experts like MIT professor of materials science Donald Sadoway are skeptical, but IBM's materials innovation manager Young-hye Na is confident it can reach commercial viability in two years, with power tools as one of the first applications.

In the meantime, several startups are emerging from stealth mode with silicon-based enhancements to current lithium-ion batteries and new methods to manufacture them as quickly and cheaply as possible. Whether or not IBM's battery is better, we don't have much longer to wait for it to show up in actual products.

Permalink to story.

Another day another revolutionary battery that apparently has zero downsides and is much much better that the current ones and like all other will never be made or demonstrated.
Comments like this really grinds my gears. Let's see how long an iPhone lasts on a battery with the energy density of an old Nokia battery. Anyone remember how bad battery life on old smartphones was? You turned the screen on for only as long as you needed to and even then, you most likely ran at low brightness.

Now people play games for hours a day on their phones while at Max brightness and only need to charge them at night. But, somehow, battery tech hasn't improved at all.

Yeah....right....

Battery tech has been improving and energy density has more than doubled in the last 10 years. The problem you guys are having is that manufacturers use higher energy density to shrink the battery because everyone wants a thinner phone.

Essentially, it's the consumers fault we don't notice these improvements because people want thinner phones over better battery life. Then we have to listen to people whine about "O, wyh mi b8ry tec knot improving."

Comments like this really grinds my gears. Let's see how long an iPhone lasts on a battery with the energy density of an old Nokia battery. Anyone remember how bad battery life on old smartphones was? You turned the screen on for only as long as you needed to and even then, you most likely ran at low brightness.

Now people play games for hours a day on their phones while at Max brightness and only need to charge them at night. But, somehow, battery tech hasn't improved at all.

Yeah....right....

Battery tech has been improving and energy density has more than doubled in the last 10 years. The problem you guys are having is that manufacturers use higher energy density to shrink the battery because everyone wants a thinner phone.

Essentially, it's the consumers fault we don't notice these improvements because people want thinner phones over better battery life. Then we have to listen to people whine about "O, wyh mi b8ry tec knot improving."

Hmmmm

and here I thought efficiency improvements in LCD's over the past 10 years and then switching to OLED made a big difference, and that going from 45nm process to 7nm process made a big difference, as well as many other improvements to radio efficiencies and other technologies used in cellphones

But.....now some dude on the Internet says it was the battery that made such a huge difference over the past 10 years....

Hmmmmm......
I Must ponder this some more!

So......did the fact that my battery went from 850mAH in 2011 to over 2700mAH today have anything to do with longer runtime or was it all just the incredulous battery technology improvements?

Last edited:
Hmmmm

and here I thought efficiency improvements in LCD's over the past 10 years and then switching to OLED made a big difference, and that going from 45nm process to 7nm process made a big difference, as well as many other improvements to radio efficiencies and other technologies used in cellphones

But.....now some dude on the Internet says it was the battery that made such a huge difference over the past 10 years....

Hmmmmm......
Must ponder this some more!
The power budget on these devices has always been about the same, increases in efficiency from node shrinks allowed them to do more with the same.

And if anything, increases from.edge, to 3g and then 4g all require MORE power, not less. 5g is going to use even more power than 4g.

Look at things like apple air pods and smart watches. 10 years ago those things would have been impossible due to battery tech.

Things like drones, electric bikes and cordless power tools we're all technically possible 10 years ago but we're limited by battery tech. We have an entire world of devices that were essentially scifi 10 years ago simply because of improvements in battery technology.

Hmmmm

Hmmmmm......
Must ponder this some more!

So has hard drives and SSDs.

A 2011 MacBook Air 13 inch SSD 128 GB in year 2011 and a 2019 MacBook Air 13 inch SSD 128 GB in year 2019 both base price.

That is 9 years same price and same storage. Back in the 90s and 2000s HDD thay where doubling every year or two.

Well HDD capacity has increase the performance has decrease.

The cloud data survey says 20% hard drive die by their 4 year birthday. Think about human life is age 80 for men and 90 for female. Think about it if by 4 your birth day if you may be one of those 20% that will die!! This is outrageous.

It not just batteries tech but even air travel. Air trevel is not any faster today than it was in he 70s.

The power budget on these devices has always been about the same, increases in efficiency from node shrinks allowed them to do more with the same.

We have an entire world of devices that were essentially scifi 10 years ago simply because of improvements in battery technology.

If power budget is about the same, and we have an entire world of devices that were essentially scifi 10 years ago simply because of improvements in battery technology, then......

you probably have a verifiable source for these facts that we can all investigate and confirm your allegations maybe ?

please provide links showing that it was simply improvements in battery technology that gave us an entire world of devices that were essentially scifi 10 years ago

It should be easy if true!

"Quality" of batteries has "Generally" improved over the past 10 years due to Law Suits / death or injury / fires etc, but the basic technology has been available regardless of whether or not it was implemented properly during manufacture

Major cellphone brands no longer buy from "Joe's Brand" or "CutRateBatteriesRUs!" for this very reason

Last edited:
Another day another revolutionary battery that apparently has zero downsides and is much much better that the current ones and like all other will never be made or demonstrated.

I wonder If future battery tech is going be organic micro organisms. They have shown in lab micro organism can produce electricity.

I don't think you will get battery in any time soon that can go 2 or 3 days with out charge at least with the tech we have.

7 to 10 hour battery life is the norm for small batteries in small laptops, tablets and smartphones. Well 2 or 3 day with out charge is not going to happen with today's tech.

"Big Blue says seawater is the key to our electric future"

So does it work equally well with polluted sea water?

If power budget is about the same, and we have an entire world of devices that were essentially scifi 10 years ago simply because of improvements in battery technology, then......

you probably have a verifiable source for these facts that we can all investigate and confirm your allegations maybe ?

please provide links showing that it was simply improvements in battery technology that gave us an entire world of devices that were essentially scifi 10 years ago

It should be easy if true!

"Quality" of batteries has "Generally" improved over the past 10 years due to Law Suits / death or injury / fires etc, but the basic technology has been available regardless of whether or not it was implemented properly during manufacture

Major cellphone brands no longer buy from "Joe's Brand" or "CutRateBatteriesRUs!" for this very reason
Are you asking for sources because you have no counter argument? I'm asking because I will go through the trouble of putting together an essay for you, with sources, if you're actually serious.

However, I won't spend a few hours writing an article for you if you're just being pissy in a comments section.

The fact these devices even exist should be all the proof I need. However, if you have a genuine curiosity about battery tech and the devices/machines made possible by it and would like to know more, I'd be happy to provide you with material and a comprehensive explanation of it.

But before I do that I want to make sure you aren't wasting my time. I have better things to do on Christmas Eve than argue with strangers on the internet.

"Big Blue says seawater is the key to our electric future"

So does it work equally well with polluted sea water?
It's probably the pollution in the sea water that makes it possible.

New battery chemistry breakthroughs really haven’t happened over the past several decades. Lithium Ion batteries were invented over 50 years and have been improved slowly by minor improvements every year. These are 5-10% improvement we’re talking about. It wasn’t until the 2000s that Lithium Ion became mass produced and heavily used. Dumb phones back then lasted several days, and smartphones drastically reduced that to around 1 day. The batteries in dumb phones used to be tiny too.

I too am with the @DaveBG. Until I see it, I won’t believe it’s relevant.

Are you asking for sources because you have no counter argument? I'm asking because I will go through the trouble of putting together an essay for you, with sources, if you're actually serious.

However, I won't spend a few hours writing an article for you if you're just being pissy in a comments section.

The fact these devices even exist should be all the proof I need. However, if you have a genuine curiosity about battery tech and the devices/machines made possible by it and would like to know more, I'd be happy to provide you with material and a comprehensive explanation of it.

But before I do that I want to make sure you aren't wasting my time. I have better things to do on Christmas Eve than argue with strangers on the internet.
Don't get pissy, and stop waste your time trying to prove what cannot be proven

The fact that these devices even exist has nothing to do with battery improvements

and I have zero curiosity about "your" version of battery tech, so.....

Enjoy your Christmas!

Don't get pissy, and stop waste your time trying to prove what cannot be proven

The fact that these devices even exist has nothing to do with battery improvements

and I have zero curiosity about "your" version of battery tech, so.....

Enjoy your Christmas!
Thanks for saving me the trouble

Happy holidays!

Yeah....right....

What are you for real? My old Nokia phone lasted for a week and had zero problem with the battery. And this with all the inefficient hardware of that era... You must be joking right??? LOL kids these days have no idea!

What are you for real? My old Nokia phone lasted for a week and had zero problem with the battery. And this with all the inefficient hardware of that era... You must be joking right??? LOL kids these days have no idea!
You're Nokia had a black and "white" display with very wideband frequencies and almost no CPU usage. It didn't need very much power. The fact that it's battery was 1) big and 2) had low energy density didn't matter at the time.

It lasted for days(more like weeks) because all it did was make calls. It didn't have a GPU or a fancy screen. It was in layman terms an original game boy after 10 years of innovation. Heck, I still remember when my Nokia had the pull out antenna before I got the solid in place 1" one sticking out of it.

But, yes, I'm just a kid who knows nothing about technology so LOL at me.

I'm also not a kid, look at my techspot profile, my age is listed.

You're Nokia had a black and "white" display with very wideband frequencies and almost no CPU usage. It didn't need very much power. The fact that it's battery was 1) big and 2) had low energy density didn't matter at the time.

It lasted for days(more like weeks) because all it did was make calls. It didn't have a GPU or a fancy screen. It was in layman terms an original game boy after 10 years of innovation. Heck, I still remember when my Nokia had the pull out antenna before I got the solid in place 1" one sticking out of it.

But, yes, I'm just a kid who knows nothing about technology so LOL at me.

I'm also not a kid, look at my techspot profile, my age is listed.
You brought Nokia up, but it is the same with modern phones. My Galaxy S1 holds charge for 2 days with no problems and has inefficient hardware. Try this with your ifon or modern phone. All of them struggle to last 10 hours. The S1 also has smaller size battery than S10 for example in all dimensions.
Also the answer is in your own comment "Battery tech has been improving and energy density has more than doubled in the last 10 years" - exactly. For 10 years we have barely increased the capacity with 50% while everything else have evolved 20 times.

You brought Nokia up, but it is the same with modern phones. My Galaxy S1 holds charge for 2 days with no problems and has inefficient hardware. Try this with your ifon or modern phone. All of them struggle to last 10 hours. The S1 also has smaller size battery than S10 for example in all dimensions.
Also the answer is in your own comment "Battery tech has been improving and energy density has more than doubled in the last 10 years" - exactly. For 10 years we have barely increased the capacity with 50% while everything else have evolved 20 times.
My Google pixel 3a XL lasts 3 days without needing a recharge under my usage conditions.

I'm tired of arguing with people over this. I'll write an article on this topic with sources and post it on the forums. Maybe if I'm lucky they'll post it on the front page, but I'm frustrated with the ignorance of people's understanding of battery tech and how they can't see how the small improvements over the last 10 years have lead to an overall large improvement in battery performance.

People want high end displays powered by high-end gpus in their phone and they can't understand that their phone went from 500mah to 3000+mAh in 10 years. All while making your phone thinner and lighter.

My Google pixel 3a XL lasts 3 days without needing a recharge under my usage conditions.

I'm tired of arguing with people over this. I'll write an article on this topic with sources and post it on the forums. Maybe if I'm lucky they'll post it on the front page, but I'm frustrated with the ignorance of people's understanding of battery tech and how they can't see how the small improvements over the last 10 years have lead to an overall large improvement in battery performance.

People want high end displays powered by high-end gpus in their phone and they can't understand that their phone went from 500mah to 3000+mAh in 10 years. All while making your phone thinner and lighter.
Lets see it then. As I said look up Galaxy S1 battery which is 1500mah and is 2 times smaller in physical size than any current 3000mah one. My Note 2 which has 3100 battery is 7 years old and has been beaten in capacity only this year but not in battery standby time.

Lets see it then. As I said look up Galaxy S1 battery which is 1500mah and is 2 times smaller in physical size than any current 3000mah one. My Note 2 which has 3100 battery is 7 years old and has been beaten in capacity only this year but not in battery standby time.
Source? I'd like to include it in my article

You are debating what is increasing is it hardwar or software. Most laptop batteries last only hour or two in the 2000s if you where lucky had only 512MB of RAM if you where lucky and tarrable display screen. The laptop was very think and you could not play games on the laptop not even classic Doom of 90s.

After year the battery will last under a hour. No one back than used laptop computer has netbook it was desktop always hooked up to power source.

But computers today are slower than computers in the 80s and 90s becuase programing code. Look at YouTube videos on Windows 3.1 boot up time. It would boot up in less than minute.

You where lucky to have 16 MB of RAM using Windows 95 and could go on the Internet and read web pages. Now days modern browsers are bloated because no one uses plain HTML but scrips, Java scrips,CSS so on.

Back than you could know nothing about programing and get book On HTML and make web site in day. Now days you can go to school for 30 years just understanding Internet programing and you will hardly scratch the surface.

Back in 80s and even in 90s every thing could be open source and you could read it. Now days if every thing was open source and you where expert there would be more days in human life time to read the code. You need team of people to read the code becuase there just too much code than days in human life to to read it.

Windows vista had some thing like 16,000 line of code. I hate to know what Windows 10 would be in 10 years from now.

Computers where faster in 80s and 90s becuase programmers had to write code for the hardware. Now days programmers don't even need to know what is RAM or CPU stands for that alone what is and does.

Now days we have code that tells code how to talk to it. You have programing code that understands and make sense of the programmer code and programs for the hardware. This is why you open up 8 tabs in Firefox and all your 4GB of RAM is used up. But I can open up 8 tabs in palemoon browser and only 20 to 30% is used up of the 4GB of RAM.

Because modern code is bloated today. What is hepening is hardware makers are getting better every year but software just uses what we through at it.

That is why if everyone on earth gone to store and get 128 of RAM by next month Firefox will need 128 RAM becuase internet get more bloated and more programming code. And one tab will take up 16 of RAM.

Windows 10 has so much programing code that it getting harder to just program for Windows 10 every year. The last update took 4 updates just to fix update.

Things are not getting better but worse. I'm surprise you get even 5 muntues of battery life today with so much bloat.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back