IBM says 40% of the global workforce will have to learn new skills over next three years...

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Generative AI is going to have such a big impact on the global jobs market that 40% of workers will have to reskill in the next three years, according to a study by IBM. The good news is that 87% of executives who were surveyed said they expect the likes of ChatGPT to augment existing roles rather than replace them.

The IBM Institute for Business Value (IBV) looked at two prior surveys for its study: one involved 3,000 C-level executives from 28 countries; the other questioned 21,000 workers in 21 nations.

The headline conclusion is that execs believe 4 out of 10 people in the workforce, equal to about 1.4 billion workers, will need to reskill as a result of companies implementing generative AI and automation.

While employees at all levels are expected to be impacted, entry-level jobs will be the most affected. Seventy-seven percent of executive respondents said entry-level positions are already seeing the effects of generative AI and that will intensify in the next few years. That figure is just 22% for executive or senior management roles.

A study in March found that generative AIs could impact 300 million jobs worldwide, but 87% of execs in IBM's report believe most positions will be augmented rather than replaced. This varies based on department: jobs in procurement are believed to be safest from elimination, followed by those in risk & compliance and the finance departments. Customer service and marketing positions aren't looking as secure.

IBM IBV's research also revealed that those who do successfully reskill to adapt to new technologies are not only more likely to keep their job but become better at it. "Technology-driven job changes report a revenue growth rate premium of 15% on average" states the report, adding that those who focus on AI will "see a 36% higher revenue growth rate than their peers."

Summing up the findings, IBM wrote that "AI won't replace people – but people who use AI will replace people who don't." Ironically, IBM was one of the first companies to confirm that it will stop hiring for jobs that could be performed by ay AI.

Another interesting finding is the falling importance of STEM skills. It was considered the most important requirement in the workforce in 2016, but in 2023, it has fallen to the least important. Time management and ability to prioritize are now the most important critical skills, followed by the ability to work in team environments and being able to communicate effectively.

Despite the assurances in IBM's report, we've already seen plenty of instances where generative AI has replaced (or is expected to replace) employees. The stress and anxiety over these job losses have led to 80% of tech workers using medications, either under a doctor's supervision or otherwise, as a coping mechanism. Heavy alcohol consumption is also becoming commonplace.

Permalink to story.

Nothing better than having a glorified search engine that pulls whatever data - correct or incorrect - and spits it out at you as if the answer it is giving you is accurate.

It's hard enough to work with dumb people that can't think for themselves, we'll now have to work with dumb people that think they're smart because a system that can't tell fact from false narratives gave them an answer and they'll just assume it's correct.

Yeah, I'm sure this will turn out to be just fine and dandy.

If we are going to become a dystopian society, how do I apply for the job of jackboot enforcer? I hear it might be the way to go.

A survey involving 3,000 C-level execs and 21,000 "workers" (where the majority is probably mid to high level managers) indicated the exec/management level will be the least impacted?

-mild shock-

The problem is now, no one is verifying what they get back from ChatGPT etc.

So now we have people that didn't know how to do something before, copy/pasting the first response they get and blindly trusting it and arguing for it without understanding what it is giving them. We are seeing so many screwups happening daily because people are running code they got from ChatGPT and breaking systems because of it.

Heck I even had someone tell me the other day they use ChatGPT to pass exam renewals....

I've been trying to use ChatGPT on my usual programming tasks since March. It's now the end of August and it only really helped me about 3 times. Yesterday I had to write some classes for the requests/responses to/from an XML-based API and it took more time to correct it than it would've taken me just to write the classes by myself.

I think that graph of impacted positions/levels might be the wrong way around.
Surely the executive/senior management positions are more easily replaced by generative AI?
I mean, I've dealt with a lot of management types that just spew out random junk anway. Easily replaced by another on that does the same thing.

And of course senior/executive management would say they'd be the least impacted.

Interesting that STEM has fallen. In the future AI will direct things like heart and brain surgery. The 'surgeon' will just be a medical tech. Most of the actual surgery will be done by robots.

There's no way that STEM can fall to the bottom of the critical skills list.

Look carefully at the list. Things like Math proficiency, Time scheduling, and Analytics skill, are core STEM values.
We're not even looking at things like Critical thinking, which is absolutely tops for STEM.

And, I would argue that STEM trained people are perhaps the most 'honest' of all. That's because they cannot schmooze their way out of exams like liberal arts does. STEM training is brutal about deliverables.

I think that list is part of the never-ending attack on merit in the Western world.

Back