IBM Thinkpad T20 Thinkpad Type 2647-92U Won't Boot my MS Office 2005 CD

By kyklopes
Jan 6, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I bought a used IBM Thinkpad T20 Thinkpad Type 2647-92U from eBay for use this semester on campus. It is in great shape and has a recent edition of Windows XP but an older version of MS Office which does not boot properly.

This computer was a part of a network and keeps trying to connect to it each time Windows loads. It came with a LinkSys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter 2.4 GHz 802.11g card.

The CD is an official copy; clean and has no scratches or nicks. The DVD/CD-ROM will boot other CD's such as music CD's and DVD films and data discs with MS Word files etc on them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Yours,

Kyklopes
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

That T-20 is pretty long in the tooth. I suspect your optical drive either needs cleaning, or is worn beyond repair.
    Did you try the CD in another drive as a double check?
  3. kyklopes

kyklopes Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for replying!

I cleaned it the day I purchased it with a Maxell CD-345 Laser Lens Cleaner with System Check (Gold) from Radio Shack. The cleaning and checks ran/worked well, it seems(?).

Yes on my Compaq Presario SR2011 desktop.

I just tried some different CD's CD-ROM's in the drive and they worked fine. A few FujiFilm 80min CD-R Audio and a Memorex 52x 700MB 80min CD-R.

Could it possibly be some differences in the brands/types of the CD's themselves?

Yours,

Kyklopes
  4. lamo

lamo Newcomer, in training Posts: 570

again, which version of MS Office you can't install?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.