Ice Wind Dale 2 trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

IceWindDale2 trailer and interview

From pc.ign.com :
Josh Sawyer (Lead designer):I think the emphasis of our game is different from both Pool of Radiance and the upcoming Neverwinter Nights. Icewind Dale 2 is a combat-oriented dungeon exploration game. There's a lot of role-playing in Icewind Dale 2, but the focus is clearly on creeping through ruins and fighting hordes of baddies. The rules we have implemented have all been geared towards making those experiences more fun for the player. And, unlike Pool of Radiance, which did a pretty decent job of implementing the letter of the rules in a turn-based environment, we're ignoring those aspects (like attacks of opportunity) for an experience that is similar in pacing to Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate.

I've been looking forward to a nice non-FPS game for a while and this might just be it. After Baldur's Gate2 and Baldur's Gate : Dark Alliance (PS2) I've been itching for a new RPG. I've never been a AD&D participater outside the digital world, well there was this one time but the DM got annoyed when one of us chose to have an allergy to beer to get some more points for stats :) Plus the whole physical rolling of X many Y sided di got a bit tedious, but when I ventured into the land of Baldur's gate on the PC I liked what I experienced. Dark Alliance was more a blend of the classic Gauntlet game with BG as you only got a choice of 3 characters, still it was a hack and slash romp that was great fun. After watching the trailer I think I will add this to my list of games to get. ;)

Looks sweet. As you I'm a FPS-addict looking for alternatives. So far the only real alternative has been the amazing "Baldurs Gate 2" and "Throne of Bhaal" (can't play the earlier ones, such as "BG", "Icewind Dale" & "Planescape Torment" as they only support 640x480 resolution, which looks craptacular).
Looking forward not only to "ID 2", but also to "Warcraft III", "Dungeon Siege" and "Neverwinter Nights" (which hopefully will be the Quake of RPG:s, with lots of mods, custom maps and a huge multiplayer community (I'm a bit concerned with the graphics, though, which looks very dated IMO - but I have a lot of confidence in BioWare after the astonishing "BG 2"))

Originally posted by Demiurg
Looking forward not only to "ID 2", but also to "Warcraft III", "Dungeon Siege" and "Neverwinter Nights" (which hopefully will be the Quake of RPG:s, with lots of mods, custom maps and a huge multiplayer community (I'm a bit concerned with the graphics, though, which looks very dated IMO - but I have a lot of confidence in BioWare after the astonishing "BG 2"))
You ought to have a look at the BG : Dark Alliance stuff from the PS2. It was even more stunning.
gal_bgda_2_screen001.jpg

gal_bgda_2_screen022.jpg

Originally posted by Arris
I've been itching for a new RPG
while waiting, maybe you could take a look a Planescape: Torment. some said it's one of the best AD&D RPGs made. and i have to say that it has a VERY complex story. the game play is really free. it focuses on the story more than the action.
i haven't finished it though, got stuck, had other things to do, came back and forgot the story, so i can't proceed. i forgot what i was doing at the time! :dead:
it's more like reading a book, i'd say :)

Planescape: Torment Official Site
review @ pc.ign.com

did i mention that the game was very loooooooong? ;)
pc.ign.com:
Presentation
Great intro and plot animations, a helpful manual and a ramping pace that helps get new players used to the Planescape universe. 9.0
Graphics
Are you kidding? They've taken the already awesome Baldur's Gate engine and added a ton of detail. One of the best looking RPGs I've ever seen. 9.5
Sound
The game has fantastic speech and sound effects, but what's more impressive is the way they fade in and out depending on how close you're standing to them. 8.5
Gameplay
Fantastic story, fantastic interface and a fantastic world to explore. This is everything I'm looking for in an RPG. 10.0
Lasting Appeal
Well, it's missing the multiplayer of Baldur's Gate, but it'll take you a really long time to find all of the game's secrets and complete all of its subquests. 9.0
OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.2

Re: Re: Ice Wind Dale 2 trailer

Originally posted by Ai Hate

while waiting, maybe you could take a look at Planescape:Torment.
Might do that. I think my house mate owns a copy ;)
Ta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back