ICQ guide?

TS | Thomas

Any thoughts?
I'm finishing up updating 2 or 3 guides/reviews at the moment & 1 new one today hopefully. But other than that anyone have any thoughts about doing an ICQ guide?

I know some site posted one on it last year (Which is when I gave up the idea first ;)). Though ICQs come on a bit since then some I'm kinda almost happy enough I could do a better job of it now anyway.

Any ideas? What to cover, etc. (Other than the obvious I guess, e.g. Preferences, Security & Permissions & Ad removal)

Yep, those are the key issues, "Preferences, Security & Permissions & Ad removal",
but I'd like more info on Advanced Mode features.

But it seems we have more interest in the 3Ds IRC Channel @ the moment.

NOTE: Put in large text where the latest version has moved the "Turn off the annoying 'Oh oh'" sound for incoming messages, where to tick the option to not display your details in the ICQ whitepages and to set yourself to only have your online status displayed to people in your contacts list....

And how to stop these webcam propositions!!! :mad:

Originally posted by Arris
NOTE: Put in large text where the latest version has moved the "Turn off the annoying 'Oh oh'" sound for incoming messages, where to tick the option to not display your details in the ICQ whitepages and to set yourself to only have your online status displayed to people in your contacts list....

And how to stop these webcam propositions!!! :mad:
Covering all that. Not actually so sure about ad removal now though... Guess that'd be getting into a similar area as applying a crack to register a program.

Actually, you only need a bit of tweaking to remove the ads in ICQ:

ICQ Ad-Busting : Part 2
http://netconference.about.com/library/weekly/aa040201b.htm

This step is actually quite simple and doesn't take much time at all. The first thing you will need to do is shut down ICQ if it is currently running on your system. Now you simply need to locate your ICQ directory and look for the following files:

* icqateima32.dll
* icqateimg32.dll
* icqateres.dll

If you have trouble finding them use the "Find" command. Once you have located these files simply change the extension by renaming them. For example you could use the following names icqateima32.dlm, icqateimg32.dlm, and icqateres.dlm. When you reopen your ICQ you will notice that the ads are no longer their, however the ad message box is still present. You can find a tutorial on how to remove the ad box and many other helpful step-by-step tutorials at Adbusters.

Not sure whether this applies to the newer versions or not.

Originally posted by lokem
Actually, you only need a bit of tweaking to remove the ads in ICQ:

Not sure whether this applies to the newer versions or not.
Pff, thats the hard way.
1. Install ICQ (Or reinstall, it doesn't need to be the "initial" install), ICQ will load. Close immediately.
2. Delete icqhttp.dll file in Program Files\ICQ directory.
3. Load ICQ. No ads, no annoying bar at the bottom of windows or anything.

Simple & no mess.

Just like I was saying though I'm not sure how it would look to recommend this just because it can be done. I guess telling people how to remove ICQ ads, then we might as well tell them to disable our ads as well.

Just like I was saying though I'm not sure how it would look to recommend this just because it can be done. I guess telling people how to remove ICQ ads, then we might as well tell them to disable our ads as well.

Gahh... That's another problem which is detrimental to your own site :( Why not leave the section out until someone asks for it? ;)

Id probably stay away from that one..Ad removal is cool for me and you but if I posted a news brief on how to disable pop up ads forever, I dont think Julio would be to happy.

Ads are the reason why we can use some programs and websites for free. That advertising pays for system administration and the general upkeep. I hate ads but I understand and appreciate why we see them around.

Originally posted by svtcobra
Ads are the reason why we can use some programs and websites for free. That advertising pays for system administration and the general upkeep. I hate ads but I understand and appreciate why we see them around.

You still have to wonder how ICQ kept working for free withouth ADS, but it "needed" them the minute it got purchased by AOL.

Originally posted by Didou

You still have to wonder how ICQ kept working for free withouth ADS, but it "needed" them the minute it got purchased by AOL.

THat's what corporate power can do to software...

Originally posted by Didou

Guess AOL wanted some of their 400million back.

Back