ICQ guide?

By TS | Thomas
Mar 31, 2002
Post New Reply
  1. Any thoughts?
    I'm finishing up updating 2 or 3 guides/reviews at the moment & 1 new one today hopefully. But other than that anyone have any thoughts about doing an ICQ guide?

I know some site posted one on it last year (Which is when I gave up the idea first ;)). Though ICQs come on a bit since then some I'm kinda almost happy enough I could do a better job of it now anyway.

Any ideas? What to cover, etc. (Other than the obvious I guess, e.g. Preferences, Security & Permissions & Ad removal)
  2. uncleel

uncleel Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,145

Yep, those are the key issues, "Preferences, Security & Permissions & Ad removal",
    but I'd like more info on Advanced Mode features.

But it seems we have more interest in the 3Ds IRC Channel @ the moment.
  3. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,534   +92

NOTE: Put in large text where the latest version has moved the "Turn off the annoying 'Oh oh'" sound for incoming messages, where to tick the option to not display your details in the ICQ whitepages and to set yourself to only have your online status displayed to people in your contacts list....

And how to stop these webcam propositions!!! :mad:
  4. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 1,327

Covering all that. Not actually so sure about ad removal now though... Guess that'd be getting into a similar area as applying a crack to register a program.
  5. lokem

lokem Newcomer, in training Posts: 773

Actually, you only need a bit of tweaking to remove the ads in ICQ:

Not sure whether this applies to the newer versions or not.
  6. TS | Thomas

Pff, thats the hard way.
    1. Install ICQ (Or reinstall, it doesn't need to be the "initial" install), ICQ will load. Close immediately.
    2. Delete icqhttp.dll file in Program Files\ICQ directory.
    3. Load ICQ. No ads, no annoying bar at the bottom of windows or anything.

Simple & no mess.

Just like I was saying though I'm not sure how it would look to recommend this just because it can be done. I guess telling people how to remove ICQ ads, then we might as well tell them to disable our ads as well.
  7. lokem

Gahh... That's another problem which is detrimental to your own site :( Why not leave the section out until someone asks for it? ;)
  8. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

Id probably stay away from that one..Ad removal is cool for me and you but if I posted a news brief on how to disable pop up ads forever, I dont think Julio would be to happy.

Ads are the reason why we can use some programs and websites for free. That advertising pays for system administration and the general upkeep. I hate ads but I understand and appreciate why we see them around.
  9. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

You still have to wonder how ICQ kept working for free withouth ADS, but it "needed" them the minute it got purchased by AOL.
  10. lokem

THat's what corporate power can do to software...
  11. TS | Thomas

Guess AOL wanted some of their 400million back.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.