ICS does not work winXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello

i have 2 pcs both running windows XP home edition

the host computer has 2 network adaptors and the cable moden is connected by USB into the back of the computer

1 network adaptor has the cable plugged in

the other has nothing and there is no conflict between the network cards

The client computer has one network card

I have no hub or router

the computers are connected by a ethernet cable directly into the network cards

the host computer has the internet working but on the client computer the internet does not work.

file sharing works on both of the computers i can send and receive files

i have run the network wizard though many times on both pcs and i have restarted i have read though lots of tutorials and other sites but i cannot get the internet to work on the client computer. i have got them both running together before please help ihave wasted days trying to get this to work.

thanks jamie

jamiecolin said:
A:-the host computer has the internet working but on the client computer the internet does not work.

B:-file sharing works on both of the computers i can send and receive files
(A) tells you the host is ok and (B) says all hardware is ok on both.

With the cable modem, you really should opt for a low cost router --
you would be much happier with it AND it adds an extra layer of protection (ie: NAT).

the issue is the IP configuration. being directly connected to the
modem, you will have a public IP address in the range supported by
your ISP. The ICS will force the second machine into a private IP,
something like 192.168.0.x

the only way to get the client to access the internet is to change the
client's netmask to 0.0.0.0, which may or may not be set and saved.

jamiecolin said:
ok so the subnet mask is the one i need to change? 255.255.255.0 i have to change that to 0.0.0.0?
without a router, that is your best HOPE. if the setting will not stick,
you are not going to get this to work.

There's a number of things that could be going wrong here.

"i have 2 pcs both running windows XP home edition. the host computer has 2 network adaptors and the cable moden is connected by USB into the back of the computer"... "the other has nothing and there is no conflict between the network cards"... "The client computer has one network card"... "the host computer has the internet working"
Okay, this is a good start...

1 network adaptor has the cable plugged in
What is this cable connecting to, exactly? Are you referring to the client plugged into the ICS server via network cable?

I have no hub or router
That's okay, we can still get ICS working.

the computers are connected by a ethernet cable directly into the network cards
Okay, this is good. But only if you have a cross over cable. Typically, regular 'straight through' network cables will not work like this... Depending on the network equipment of course.

file sharing works on both of the computers i can send and receive files
This means your network is indeed working. You must have a cross over cable or your equipment works fine with a straight through. So this is good.

but on the client computer the internet does not work.
ICS shares the Internet connection. Your ICS server computer or 'host' becomes 192.168.0.1 and it now acts as a gateway to your Internet connection.

Unfortunately, ICS does not also include a DHCP server where you can get your routing information automatically. So everything needs to be done manually. Here's how it should be set up.

The client computer should have the following network settings.

* Use the following IP address:
IP: 192.168.0.2 (The last digit can vary, up until 254, but it cannot be 1. '2' should work fine)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

*Use the following DNS Server addresses
Preferred DNS: 192.168.0.1

Because we know you're network works, we should investigate your Internet connectivity specifically.

Ping your ICS host
Have you tried using the ping command in the Windows terminal? Start > Run > Type cmd and press OK. Type ping 192.168.0.1 to verify you can establish network connectivity to your ICS host.

Ping a website
If the ping is successful (You'll get a 'reply'), attempt to ping an external address, such as ping google.com

Disable firewalls
If the ping to your ICS host address is unsuccessful, then make sure the address and subnet is set up properly with your ICS host. 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0 are the default values. If the values are correct, a firewall could be blocking ICS traffic. Disable any firewalls on your host and client such as Norton Internet Security, McAfee or Zonealarm etc... As well as the XP firewall. Here's a quick list of firewall disable routines. http://help.expedient.com/general/disable_firewall.shtml

Client issues
If the ping is successful for both your ICS host and the external address, then your ICS is working properly. The problem may lie with your browser, Windows or firewall. Again, check how to disable your firewall for both the client and host computers.

Winsock repair
Another problem may with your client's winsock. It is possible for it to be altered to allow network traffic, but not Internet. Spyware and Internet security programs can cause issues. If you're using Windows XP SP2, you can issue the command netsh winsock reset in the XP terminal (Start > Run > Type cmd and click OK then type the command above). You can also use this simple utlity to do it: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

i have the fire wall turned off

and i will try the winstock thing out.

is it possible p[rograms like zonealarms aries morphious etc can block ports?

Are you sure you have TCP/IP enabled on the client pc? Then again I guess you couldn't set the static IP to 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask if you didn't.
I have my 2 home PCs linked ICS and I remember a major headache until I turned off the XP firewall on the client machine.

jamiecolin said:
i have the fire wall turned off

and i will try the winstock thing out.

is it possible p[rograms like zonealarms aries morphious etc can block ports?

Zonealarm IS a firewall, and yes... It can block ports. Disable it completely while you try to troubleshoot. Ares & Morphius? No.

Are you sure you have TCP/IP enabled on the client pc?
There's not much of a choice in XP. I think if you could actually manage to do this, XP might explode and Microsoft might start distributing Linux.

I have just run the winsock program on the host and client computer.

the host computer ran the program and restarted back into windows i tested the client no internet, then i ran the program on the client and windows froze when i restarted the computer so i had to do a windows restorein safe mode.

no luck with the program unless i used it wrong. any more possible solutions?

and thank you once again for helping

then i ran the program on the client and windows froze when i restarted the computer so i had to do a windows restorein safe mode.
I've never seen that happen before.

If you were to add the client computer directly to your modem, does it get online?

I bet its virtual usb nic
I have yet to get this to work with ics or another network system
if you can replace with rj45 cat 5e

its a usb modem that i tryed starting with using the usb cable but i had the same problems i have now. then i swapped the usb with a ethernet about 1 week ago but i still have the same problems

then I would try to delete all instances of nic's all of them in the modem and reg connected machine
do a cold boot when working with network cards
on boot
do run,cmd go to c prompt
do ipconfig /flushdns
then start with the main nic get it to do a connect to modem
this allows modem to give ip address
make sure other nic is not attached
after you know there is a connection go to advanced setting
Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection.
add 2nd nic and connect cable to 2nd machine
run ics wizard on first machine
ICS can be messed up as with all MS tools
you may find in long run to get a good router(not cheap)
or make first machine a router with 3rd party app's
keep in mind the 2nd cable should be crossover don't switch
newer nics don't always have to need this
xp home is the worst for networking

Samstoned said:
xp home is the worst for networking
it certainly is not sophisticated, but will do simple sharing--
I am sharing (both ways) with a Mac and a Linux system via Samba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back