***** Musician has Dumpcheck issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannthr

It's a widely known fact that musicians can barely read, so I understand and appreciate this disadvantage.

But I'm trying to diagnose a BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER bsod that's come back to haunt me and I'm sitting here looking at my dumpchk output completely unable to find an exceptionaddress so that I can check it against the pstat output and see what the deal-io is.

I'm approaching all of this from the information I've gathered off the microsoft support site on how to use dumpchk but I can't seem to use the switches, or I don't know how to use the switches, or I don't understand the command syntax, but I can't seem to get a more comprehensive output from dumpchk (if it's even possible). The switches remind me of linux switches, and really I can't remember the last time I used a linux system... programmed on emacs--basically I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm using Windows XP SP2, my comp stats are in my profile, and I'm happy to pack up a minidump along with my first born child (though I don't actually have children, so perhaps someone else's firstborn child) etc, any kind of advice or help is appreciated.

The short story:
I had recently reinstalled my main machine (Joliet) and was slowly getting it back to operational strength. (I use it to produce music, draw/paint, and do the occassional game) For approx. two weeks I had the machine kickin' and runnin' smoothly with about 8 or so USB devices hooked up to that badboy.

Then on Monday I installed Sony Soundforge, Sony CD Archetect, and MSN Messenger 7.5 to complete my installation and actually start working at full steam like I used to.

That evening, when all was quiet outside of my headphones, the machine I most depend on blue screened. But it was frightening not because it was a bluescreen, but because it was a BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER!

The long story:

You see, earlier this year I had some HD allocation issues and I had performed a long overdue installation. You see, a friend of mine used to own and operate a LAN Arcade and when he closed down and liquidated his computer stock, I bought one of his machines. But he gave me the "good" machine. In order to be brief with his own various reinstallations, he ended up simply RAID duplicating the HDs. What that meant for me was that while my computer swore it had an 80GB HD, it really had a 120GB HD. The computer ran very nicely aside from a few fragments left over from it's abuse at the arcade.

So I had decided I had the time (I think over spring break) to reinstall the comp and get my extra 40GB of HD space as well as bask in the glory of a clean install.

Well, at that time I had also decided to throw down an extra stick of RAM and a DVD-burner (for other, professional reasons).

Feelin' good after the idea of an installation, I set to work. I ran into a couple of RAID hiccups, but everything went okay. It took a little longer, as you know it does, to install all the rest of my operational software, but when everything was said and done, I was happy. Happy until BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER attacked me. This went on for a few weeks as I set to reinstall motherboard drivers and make sure my USB drivers were updated, etc. Nothing worked. I even tried unplugging various USB devices and nothing worked. Then, one fateful day, I was installing AOL so that I could access some of their chat rooms (that I had long ago abandoned for MSN and IM) when during the installation BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER attacked and boy let me tell you how that broke windows and good. After that Windows wouldn't even make it past the loading screen.

Well the **** hit the fan, I got busy with school, I had to move, my grandpa broke his hip, and I got the whooping cough, and when things finally settled down a couple of weeks ago I tackled reinstalling everything. I figured if I went in and right off the bat installed the brand new motherboard drivers, I would kick some *** on that BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER bsod, kick some good ***!

So I thought ahead, when I installed the OS, I installed only the ethernet drivers. Then I had my networked computer give my main machine the newest and latest ASUS drivers and I installed them like a bat out of hell! And I was excited, everything was working perfectly for about a week or so, until Monday.

My old "friend" come back to haunt me.

So now I want to pinpoint WHAT is causing it. Nothing has changed on my USB devices, no new devices were added from when it was stable to when it was unstable.

Recently I tried flashing the bios AND reinstalling the latest usb drivers (which only broke the motherboard USB and I unstalled the reinstall--I wish they had a "repair" option) and nothing really seemed to fix it.

On the surface this crash has no rhyme or reason, it happens at any time for any reason. I could be listening to music, or typing on the keyboard--it's not consistent.

So that's why I've come to dumpchk, but my dumpchk seems to be the mentally disabled dumpchk, or I'm the mentally disabled dumpchk user. I can't find the EXCEPTIONADDRESS so that I can check it against pstat and find out which or what is causing these crashes.

Any advice is appreciated.

- Dan

I have seen this before and in my case it always seems to be a driver conflict and stressing your USB Bridge is provoking it.

Attach the minidump file. You will find it under C:\windows\minidump\
Check device manager WIN-Key + Pause will bring us system properties -> Hardware TAB -> Device manager. Look for any red x's or anything that's yellow. That will give you a picture of the driver health. That is a good place to start. Sometimes removing the USB drivers from device manager and rebooting helps but check drivers first.

Attached is the latest minidump.

The only thing that's yellowed out in my device manager is "Other:Multimedia Audio Controller" and I have no idea what that is.

My keyboard has drivers, my outboard soundcard has drivers, etc... not much left really.

Maybe it's my onboard soundcard, I might not have installed drivers for that (I can't even remember now) but I don't know how that would f' with the usb...

I'm definitely lost on this one.

That dump's crashed at US428.sys. Not sure what this belongs to (Tascam?). See if you can find out what it belongs to, and then look for an update.

BugCheck FE, {4, 86462008, 85a07c20, 0}
Probably caused by : US428.sys ( US428+121e1 )
Image name: US428.sys Timestamp: Fri Jul 30 23:49:16 2004 (410A6DFC)

Thanks for your help guys,

A friend directed me to Microsoft's win32 debugger and I was able to track the dump as well (finally).

Yes, 7/8 of the dumps were caused by my Tascam US-428 outboard sound device.

After a lot of headache and research (as my drivers were all updated) I discovered I had to force-roll-back my USB drivers to an older version. It wasn't pretty, but so far I haven't crashed.

And hopefully the kernel will yet again be my friend. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back