IE7 crashes when browsing to some pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

Any idea why IE7 should crash when asked to open some pages? I thought it was only pages with pop-ups but no. Some initial checks:
IE security reset to default
HJT found nothing
Norton (spit) turned off made no difference
MSConfig startup all unchecked no difference, ditto services tab non-MS disabled
System restore enabled but no restore points available from before the problem started. Weird that!
Checking the same sites on another PC worked OK.

I have remote access to this machine only but would apprecuate any ideas what might be causing this. Solutions could include FireFix and a complete OS reinstall.

1.Empty IEs cache.

2.Disable add ons -

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

3.Turn off Java,Javascript,Active X

4.Do the solution.

Hi
thanks for the help - running IE with no add-ons stopped it crashing.
Any idea how I find out which add-on caused the problem?
cheers

PS: do the solution?

Do you have any toolbars on ie7 such as google or yahoo? According to Microsoft's MSDN forum, the google toolbar has been causing IE7 crashes. Some say that total removal works whereas others say a reinstall of the toolbar worked for them.

I've also read that Java may be causing this too. Uninstall all of your java via the control panel then surf to https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6463-java-se.html and get the newest java installed.

I am still using IE6 and have totally blocked out the IE7 update. I had problems with it previously and during my last format, I opted not to install IE7. I've had no further problems. Uninstalling IE7 is definitely not an option. I found that this causes more problems. It may appear to work correctly but it will not let you into some sites, mainly secure sites.

Thanks Rikki - will have a look at that. Its definately the add-ons but which one - that is the question

Update
it was a Norton Browser Add-on that was responsible - all sorted.
Thanks for the input everyone

IE7 mysteries

The problem for me seems to be strictly with my own copy of IE7. I do not have this problem with my copy at work.

After many months of visiting the same site in IE7 at home, suddenly the page stopped responding. It would begin to load, and I could see the page title at the top of the browser window, but the page itself was blank, and IE7 just hung. Trying to click on anything brought up the "Not Responding" message, and I would have to hit CRTL-ALT-DEL and bail out of IE7. This problem still goes on when I visit the site (www.carepages.com, although only at home in IE7. FireFox works, and so does my IE7 at work.

I tried all the various remedies suggested here, and nothing changed.

I then saved the html page that never loads, and opened it from my hard drive. Again, IE7 crashed. I looked at the code and saw numerous javascripts, and began removing each one until I found the one that's making the page crash:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/javascript/jquery.js"></script>

When I remove this line of code, the page opens fine in IE7. (I haven't downloaded any of the scripts--just the html page, so it's not the script itself that's the problem.)

Is there some setting on my computer that I can use to get past this problem? I've noticed it on only one other website, but suspect it's an incompatibility between some javascript function and IE7 that's different on my computer (since my work computer displays the page without problem.)

In the meantime, I've gone to FireFox as my default browser, but I prefer the way that IE7 displays certain web elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back