If you like Windows XP reply back

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't love it, but i can say that i generally like it (and the rest of the NT 5.x series for that matter)

I don't know yet,just did a fresh install after 3yrs of W2K.
My clients like it,but what do they know ,Ha

I think overall, it's pretty good. Some of the system adminstrator stuff is not really user friendly, but at the most basic level it blew command line OSes out of the water for user friendliness. I used to hate having to memorize or refererce DOS commands.

well, it does everything you could want out of a pc for 99% of people, the last 1% are those funny ones that use dvorak keyboards and such :D (i'm not in that 1%)

yeh, it buggers up from time to time, but its usually the result of too much twiddling, its an os for the people. and without windows how would pc repair companies survive!

It did take out choice and a fe others, but the good news is that the small percantage of people that want thes commands can download a dos package for pretty much free and take the appropriate commands out for incluson in batch scripts. :)

Who needs choice anymore? This is an XP/MS world. Get thee to a .NET console and compile a C# proggy.

I like XP. If you know what you're doing, like seriously, it can be made rock stable and nearly infinitely customizable.
If you DON'T know much about it, "things" can sneak in and dig themselves so deep into the core of Windows that you almost have no choice but to reload to get them back out.

If I were the "XP People", here is what I would change. Comments welcome.

1) It's time to SEPPARATE Explorer from Internet Explorer; Outlook Express from MSN Messenger.

2) Once (1) is complete, it's time to allow COMPLETE uninstalling of IE and OE without wrecking all Internet functionality.

3) Give better, more stable access to changing the shell and themes. As I recall, changing your shell and some themes, such as log in screen boot logo etc... can be pretty deadly. XP almost should come WITH a complete theme editor for XP.

4) Have WAY less "startup" locations. What is there like 25-30 places where a program/service/dll/ocx/BHO/ etc.. etc... can start with Windows? It's insane. Windows needs to centralize it's startups so that a user ( or tech at least) can view every conceivable startup executable there is. And not only that, but "Safe Mode" should ONLY load a core set of startups that it needs to run. And this core set you can NOT add anything to externally. In other words, when you enter Safe Mode, there is NO WAY that a 3rd party startup can still run. Which they can now. There are viruses and spyware that can still run even in Safe Mode Command Prompt. Especially these days.

5) Have a centralized, OS based installer. So that NO program can install itself without the user at least having to click an "install" button. No automatic installs through hidden code in a MIDI file. Or automatic installs through hidden code behind a hidden 1x1 GIF on a web site through ActiveX. I think if a program wants to install, make registry changes, and create files in the "programs" directory, the user MUST allow it, no ifs, ands, or butts.

6) Which leads to my last statement. It needs a better program uninstaller. Being that (5) is complete, Windows can then better track a programs installation routine. Such as if XP forces a program to "register" itself to install, and require user authority, then ANY program that wishes to install, has to pass it's install code through the installer. So there is no way changes can be missed and not recorded by Windows.

Any comments? Suggestions of your own? Are you listening MS?

Well, I have used W98, didn't like it that much, maybe because it was on my dad's older computer, but I just didn't like how it looked. W XP is my second, and probably my most rememberable OS that I know. I like it a lot, as long as it is able to play my games pretty well, and the up comming ones to an extent, I will be a long term customer. Until then, XP for me.

what i like about xp are the looks ("so sexy" says Andre LaMothe in a programming book), and when ever i put a new device, i just plug it in and xp has the driver for it.

I have heard that microsoft is making a new OS and it looks sweet, is that true?

i dunno, vigilante. there are many technical reasons windows xp runs the way ti does. an evolution, so to speak, of the NT operating system.

Yes Puncraw, there is another OS from Microsoft comming around in either 2005, or 2006 I believe. I can't remember what it is called, but I have heard of it in the past.

It is called Windows vista (formally known as codename Longhorn.) The reviews so far have been mediocre at best.

Indded, and apparently it'll have IE7 Beta 2! And in this marvellous reease, they'll have fixed a great many of the css 2 bugs. Possibly resulting in existing pages not working as they used to, All at around the same time as the release of CSS 3.

MS aren't really getting their act together - they probably never will.

Tedster said:
It is called Windows vista (formally known as codename Longhorn.) The reviews so far have been mediocre at best.

Nearly EVERYONE I talked to and those in the forums hated Whistler before it was XP. That was back in the day when I pirated everything I could get my hands on, and I was in college at that time on a very open campus for file shares.

I always liked Whistler/XP, I haven't given Longhorn/Vista a shot since Longhorn and Server2003 were essentially the same thing (even used same cd key at one point). My point is that if you check through the old threads on this board at about the time XP came out, almost nobody liked it. Now I bet over 90% of those 'haters' are now using it.

One good thing about longhorn will be winFS though :) In all honesty, haviong watched that little video presentation of it from the winfs dev team posted on this forum a few days ago, I can see how that could open up all kinds of innovation (and sadly, of the malicious kind too - but I guess you can't have one without the other!)

The Beta, or is it Alpha? Of Vista is already out, though may be slightly difficult to find if you don't have the connections. Though it's called Vista, it is still Longhorn in the Beta, go figure.

I heard tell when MS came out with early renditions of it, it was hit with a virus already, a brand new one! So MS stripped out that feature and will release it later. WinFS, of course, has been in development since I was in diapers. I would hope it's first release will reflect the time spent.

But I'm gunna be pissed if they charge a rediculous high price for Vista. Missing features and using Beta software as it is. They better not charge an arm and a leg to get it. Or I really will go Linux!

It's also a tad frightning about the whole programming thing. Vista uses a graphical system known as Aero and Aero Glass (for 3D effects). Aero is basically the "look and feel" of Vista. Aero is built using another code term named Avalon, which is the APIs on which Aero is built. Indigo is another term for the programming model for distributing apps based on .NET and web services. All this, of course, you want to use .NET and Microsoft's programming packages. The whole encompassing programming model is called WinFX, which incorporates Avalon, Indigo, and eventually WinFS. WinFX is the successor to the current Win32 API.

I don't know if all that means you can't program apps without (paid for?) Microsoft apps, or if any language can still be used to make an app. I surely hope MS doesn't do anything to make it hard on people to program it. But I don't think they would go that far. Who knows?

I'm sure programming languages will still work in Vista, however, the compilers will have to be adjusted to work in a 64 bit envirnoment. At the moment I still don't see a whole lot of support for 64 bit capabilities and therefore I am quite comfortable retaining my 32 bit AMD XP system.

ill bet the microsoft execs are counting on a success after the pirating/security situation with windows in asian markets.

Can we start a big campaign to keep caling it longhorn? Windows Vista is an awful name! To me, it brings images of sitting on some kind of balcony in a spanish or brazillian hotel, watching the rest of the world pass you by.

LOL, I read that MS changed the name to Vista to reflect the "new views" of Windows. New views as in the new look and feel and, soon to be, storage system. And the new ways in which things will work. They thought "Vista" encompassed that idea.

But then again, what does "Longhorn" really mean? Means the "long" evil "horn" coming from M$'s head, that's what.

True, but Longhorn sounds beefy and aggressive - it sounds like a product pushing the boundries and advancing past everything else with strenght and courage. It may or may not be true - but at least it's good marketing.

It's certainly better than Vista, although Vista will probably be a more appropriate name - in the beginning at least. I'll be sitting in front of my system wondering why the heck it won't start up as I watch my housemates XP box accross the room happily chiming away as it logs on.

-well, stranger things have happened! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back