TechSpot

illegal system dll relocation

By starrkiller
Apr 16, 2007
  1. i cant start certain applications, including AVGfree, and some setup programs, the error message says this:

"the system DLL user.dll was relocated in memory. the application will not run properly. the relocation occurred because the DLL c\windows1system32\shell32.dll occupied an address range reserved for windows DLLs. The vendor....."

can u guys help me to solve the problem?

2. zerocool

zerocool TS Rookie

when did you started to experience this problem, did you install any new software or try to set up a new user, are you in a domain.

3. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

Please send howard_hopkinso a pm asking for this to be switched to the spyware section.

:)

4. starrkiller

starrkiller TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 34

the only thing i can think of is a windows update.
    i dont think it is spyware, i do regular cleanups like explained on the spyware section. thats why i came to this section.

5. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448

The post would be appropriate in the spyware section for people searching since it is a Microsoft Security issue - however, one answer is posted through that link.

:)

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,449   +324

yes! this is a reference to a viable fix :)

7. starrkiller

thanks guys! that solved the problem.
    if u guys think this is the wrong forum i will pm howard.

having my anti virus again sure leaves me more relaxed.

8. starrkiller

after all that didn't work, the problem was that i had my dll altered so the icons styles, etc where like i wanted them.
    but i had no problem before the windows security update.
    so the problem was solved not because of the Microsoft issue solver, but by uninstalling the customization pack i had.

Stupid microsoft......

9. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Indeed.. Stupid Microsoft, not taking into account every (illegal) hack any given user may apply to their system files. :p

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.