Images and video feeds showing up dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to help my father fix a very interesting problem. Every time I send him a picture (either screen shot, or jpg from a digital camera), the picture appears very dark on his screen. Also, anytime we to video-conferencing, my image also appears very dark on his screen. I'm not even sure where to attempt to tackle this issue.

I don't think it's a screen brightness issue at all since his screen's brightness appears normal, just these images and video appear really dark.

He's running Windows XP if that helps.

Thanks for any suggestions on what I can try to fix this.

I'm using MacOS X, so I don't know if for some reason image files and video feed he receives is altered some how before it gets to his screen (done by his computer). I say that it's his computer since my brother on Windows ME and I can transer image files as well as video feeds back and forth with no problem. Even when my dad (on Windows XP) gets a video feed from my brother (on Windows ME) it shows up really really dark. I know it's not his screen brightness since I've seen him pull up image files I've sent him. His screen is nice and bright, but the image files are really really dark. Is there something going on on his computer that is processing these image files and video feeds and making them dark?

Thanks for any help.

The only thing I can really think of causing the problem is his monitor. Are you sure all the settings are fine on it?

What about the screen generally. Is the desktop (without a wallpaper) darker than normal, or is it just when he views images in the built in Picture Viewer and videos in Windows Media Player? Eg, if he opens an image, is the actual image dark and the rest of the screen normal?

I know in Windows Media Player you can adjust brightness/contrast. Maybe those settings have been changed by accident?
--> In Windows Media Player, click VIEW -> ENHANCEMENTS -> VIDEO SETTINGS. Make sure they're in the middle (especially brightness) and then try adjust them. In the same sub menu as video settings, you'll notice graphic equaliser. You could try play around with that, but remember the original settings of course! To close the enhancements windows, simply click the little white x (close button) in the enhancements box top right corner.

The only other things I can suggest are:
1) try unplug the monitor from the back of the computer and plug it back in (ie. make sure all pins are connected)
2) try a different monitor. If the same problem occurs then it may be some problem in Windows. I have no idea where though, sorry!

Hope that helps.

Hey Matt_2006

I believe all the settings are fine on the monitor. The desktop appears pretty bright. He uses Netscape as his emial client (I can't get him to use anything else) and that is what he uses to bring up the pictures. Even viewing the pictures with Picture Viewer shows the pictures as darkened, against a nice bright screen background.

I tihnk I wasn't specific enough as far as video feeds. What I meant to say was that during either an AIM video conference or even a yahoo video link-up, video he receives on his end shows up dark (again against a nice bright screeen). This happens when he does video with me (on MacOS X) and with my brother (on Windows ME), so I'm pretty confident it's something on his computer.

Could this be video card related? Darkening pictures as well as video from video confrencing.

Thanks for anymore suggestions.

gimbit said:
I tihnk I wasn't specific enough as far as video feeds. What I meant to say was that during either an AIM video conference or even a yahoo video link-up, video he receives on his end shows up dark (again against a nice bright screeen). This happens when he does video with me (on MacOS X) and with my brother (on Windows ME), so I'm pretty confident it's something on his computer.

No, I understood what you meant by the video conferencing. I just thought if you were using MSN video conferencing, then Windows Media Player would be likely to have a say in the settings.

gimbit said:
Could this be video card related? Darkening pictures as well as video from video confrencing.

Thanks for anymore suggestions.

I really think if all settings in Windows are fine, then it would have to be a video card problem. You could always try another video card (even just a cheap one) and if there aren't any problems with that, then it would have to be a video card problem.

Things I can suggest (in this order to save you the most time and money)
1. Get the very latest video card drivers.
2. Try move his video card into a different slot.
3. Try another video card.
4. Reinstall Windows XP.

But before you try that, make sure everything is backed up.

Just wondering, if he goes into Paint and just scribbles a whole lot of colours around the drawing area, is it dark then? If not, save it, close paint and open it in Image Viewer.

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back