Improvement for Skylake $4000 Gaming rig

By nimbex
Sep 6, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Hello All,

I'm a new builder with no recent experience in building. However, I have done a good bit of reading over the past few months about components and building. Here is the link to a build that I have planned out: [pcpartpicker]( . Please note, I currently own an acceptable keyboard and mouse (Razer, recent last year).

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($399.49 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($130.38 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($215.98 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($145.78 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung SM951 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($395.26 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.44 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($722.50 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($722.50 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($201.94 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($152.78 @
    Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($41.31 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($140.38 @ SuperBiiz)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.16 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Acer XB280HK bprz 60Hz 28.0" Monitor ($768.64 @ B&H)

Total: $4119.54

(1) Gaming - ability to run the 4K monitor (Gsync) reasonably smoothly on max settings, with some future proofing (1-3 years), on both CPU and GPU intensive games - current favs inclide upcoming Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Civilization series, SC2 ;
    (2) Ability to online stream without significant cut in gaming performance;
    (3) Ability to do basic Video and photo editing;
    (4) Some multitasking capability, as above.
    (5) Approximate purchase date: Sept 2015.

My Budget is $4,000, + or - $500. My goal is to attain the above, keeping in mind that I don't mind paying a small amount more for better performance, but not a marginal amount more for a significant less returns. I would like to keep the 2-GPU SLI in the build, would like a CPU that can overclock, interested in an SSD with high read/write rates, but I am not interested in paying extra money for sleeving, LEDs, and other items for visual appeal, unless they have a functional purpose that adds value / efficiency.

I am looking for feedback for potential issues prior to purchase on :

(1) Cooling Adequacy and Layout - With the Corsair H110 cooling, the MSI 6G NVIDIA 980TI x2 custom cooling, and the current case with the preinstalled fans, I am open to suggestions on cooling layout within my case. I would be willing to purchase more fans, however, I am not interested in the time commitment needed for custom water or sub zero cooling;
    (2) Performance Bottlenecking - Are there any parts that stand out as not being "up to par with the others" in such a way that performance will "bottleneck," keeping in mind my goals above?
    (3) Multi monitor support - Would someone mind verifying that I could run a HP Pavilion 23xi with the proposed Acer XB280HK bprz 60Hz 28.0" Monitor (Gsync, 4K)? I believe I can (one uses HDMI, one Displayport 1.2). Specifically, I plan to purchase another 4K monitor (possibly a second Acer XB280HK) if I like the first one. Any problems with this setup (it would replace the HP).
    (4) Any recommended missing items? I.e. fans, fan controller, etc.

Thank you!