Increase your bandwith by 20%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex.A

Hey all,

Something i thought i would share with you all....

Increase Your Bandwidth By 20%, It Really Works

A nice little tweak for XP. Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the quotes.

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.
works on XP Pro, and 2000
other OS not tested.

It worked how?

There aren't many QoS-aware applications in Windows.

Don't think your network works at 80% speed by default.

> but it works ...

as measured by what? The first question is 'What does bandwidth measure'?

TCP pre se can only run ~70-73% of the lowest rated NIC in the chain,
as the architecture allows packets to be written without concern that the
channel is already busy -- which creates a 'collision' and forces a retry.

Tokenring has frames that get updated by the write request and runs at a
higher efficiency.

SCSI has a protocol that avoids collisions also (yes I know it's not a network protocol)

CCT said:
IMO CCT, you should entice the reader to refer to your link -- it is excellent!

Q.E.D;
Microsoft said:
From Microsoft:
Clarification about the use of QoS in end computers that are running Windows XP
As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This “reserved” bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host.

So as usual, some unqualified ***** on this WebSite has a miracle cure, get something for nothing (just like the asanine article on adding acetone to your car, giving your car better gas mileage!). I REALLY wish that RTN would verify what they are posting as FACT on their pages, BEFORE they post it. Do you know how many sheep (Baa Baa!) just changed their “Limit Reservable Bandwidth” setting based on this BOGUS “Tip”? This is a trivial setting to change, but who knows what these morons are going to suggest next? Delete your Registry and make your PC run faster? Better yet, do the world a favor and just unplug your PC and leave it unplugged, it is probably already being used as a Zombie SPAM/Spyware/Virus Server. I got it!!! Unplug your PC, turn the plug over and plug it back in… Now your car will get better gas mileage!!!

Just remember, you sheep, if you lined your helmet with tin foil (like we told you to!), you wouldn’t hear the voices in your head telling you to do these dumb, follow all the other stupid sheep things!!1

jobeard, so you are saying that this trick is fake? doesn't work? I read those comments on CCT link and some people were against, some weren't. Do you people noticed some difference in your download speed?

I don't make a habit of attacking anyone personally that posts something they think is useful - particularly when a link might let them and others learn a bit more.

I deplore the use of derogatory terms for posters that are or may be wrong in such situations.

It is good that sometimes one mentions a post or referenced article or suggested avenue of repair is or may be errant and does so with some tact.

In this case, I felt the link was adequate to at least let people draw their own conclusions and make some comparisons.

Having said that, good night all.

:)

CCT: I just thought an introduction would have enticed the reader to click-thru to the information.

Alex.A: the information stands for itself and explains the matter clearly (imo).

i've read things about this trick and no matter what people say i've noticed pages loading faster, so it does work in one way or another.

actually, i have noticed web pages loading faster but bitlord has suffered, not that i'm condoning torrents ;)

Yeah, some felt the difference, others didn't. But at least, it's good to try and know that those 20% are yours now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back