India tells VPN, cloud, and crypto companies to collect user data or face imprisonment

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Users of VPNs expect that the services will protect their privacy, but a new directive in India will force companies not only to collect an extensive amount of user data but also to store it for five years and hand it over if requested. The ruling applies to Virtual Private Network providers, data centers, cloud service providers, and crypto exchanges.

As reported by Entracker, the new national directive from India's Computer Emergency Response Team, known as CERT-in, is an attempt "to coordinate response activities as well as emergency measures with respect to cyber security incidents."

Companies, including the VPN providers, must record customers' names, usage patterns, contact information, validated IP and physical addresses, and the purpose for which they are hiring the services.

Another part of the directive states that companies must keep customer information even after they cancel their accounts or subscriptions. Additionally, organizations must report on any users' "unauthorized access to social media accounts."

CERT-in claims the requirements are so the agency can respond to cyber incidents within six hours of discovering them. The directive isn't being welcomed by users of these services, obviously, but the companies providing them may not have much choice: failure to comply with requests for information can result in one year of imprisonment.

Most VPNs offer a no-logs policy in which they do not store logs of customers' online activities, and even those that keep them only do so temporarily. With the threat of legal action, some of these providers may be forced to leave the Indian market as a result of the new rules.

The directive is set to go into effect on June 27, though this could be delayed so that companies have more time to comply with the rules.

h/t: CNET

Image credit: Privecstasy

Permalink to story.

I think India should stop pretending that they're any different than Putin's Russia. Except flag colors, religion and skin-tone there is 0 difference.

Modi is just Hindu-stylized-Putler. BJP is exactly the same fascist crime syndicate as One Russia, plus he's also RSS member, hyper-nationalist paramilitary organization with very like SS-structure (it celebrated the death of Mahatma Gandhi for example), army within an army which nobody controls. Jawaharlal Nehru (Father/Architect of Modern India as he's called) always warned about RSS and now long after his death RSS continues to prove he was right.

I guess they'd better rename it to VN in India, because now it's only purpose would be getting past geo-blocking, not privacy.

^

They should be focusing on alleviating their miserable standards of living, healthcare, and infrastructure instead of prioritizing first-world country problems.

People still publicly defocate in the streets, because they don't even maintain a standardized sewage system.
Perhaps the aim is to prevent anyone pointing that out by censoring/controlling everything.

How about India doing something about the fact that 99% of the world scammers operate out of India and are almost daring Modi and his sycophants to even dare arrest them. One would think they are even in cahoots!

Those cretins preying on the the poor and old folks should be India's first priority, not fooling around with privacy laws

Pathetic imbeciles.

Seems to me India has MUCH greater problems to worry about! This move is very draconian and communistic.

More and bigger government, it blows my mind we have people that want more of in the USA! FOOLS, given the opportunity, the Gov will take as much power as the people give them and then NEVER cede it back.

How about India doing something about the fact that 99% of the world scammers operate out of India and are almost daring Modi and his sycophants to even dare arrest them. One would think they are even in cahoots!

Those cretins preying on the the poor and old folks should be India's first priority, not fooling around with privacy laws

Pathetic imbeciles.
I think they love and support the scammers because it's bringing mostly foreign money into India. Like you said, when 99% of the scammers originate from India, that pretty much tells the story.

If I'm not mistaken...Similar laws are in use in the UK. "Investigatory Powers Bill gives spies sweeping new powers, and forces internet companies to keep records on all of their users. Parts of the law also seem to suggest that the Government will make companies weaken their security so that intelligence agencies can read messages." (Independent newspaper UK)
The UK government can also monitor all of your email, physical paper mail...or any means of communication it deems necessary.
And you thought China were the bad guys....

Seems to me India has MUCH greater problems to worry about! This move is very draconian and communistic.

More and bigger government, it blows my mind we have people that want more of in the USA! FOOLS, given the opportunity, the Gov will take as much power as the people give them and then NEVER cede it back.
A place does exist, that has minimal government and a basic free-for-all attitude. It's called Somalia.

So millions of Indian rupee head overseas as local privacy centric consumers switch to Euro based server providers.

Well played Indian government, well played.

I always laugh when I see claims that India is the world's largest democracy. They are as bad as most of the usual suspects like China, Russia, Turkey, USA, UK, NK to name a few. They have not been a democracy for decades. The fact the scumbags are still sucking up to Putin shows India's true mettle.

I don't see any tyrannical dictatorships with crushing heels in that list. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just parroting words that sound cool maybe.
Nah, I thought of those cool words myself actually.

You don't actually believe that the People's Democratic Republic of Korea (or whatever) is actually democratic, a republic, or for the people, right?

China infringes on its citizens rights all the time. They're one of the worst, probably second only to North Korea.

Russia has Putin at the wheel.

Turkey continues to deny the Armenian genocide it committed in World War I and disappears people who speak out about it.

Nah, I thought of those cool words myself actually.

You don't actually believe that the People's Democratic Republic of Korea (or whatever) is actually democratic, a republic, or for the people, right?

China infringes on its citizens rights all the time. They're one of the worst, probably second only to North Korea.

Russia has Putin at the wheel.

Turkey continues to deny the Armenian genocide it committed in World War I and disappears people who speak out about it.
Yeah, actually you could definitely call NK that (I misread as NL when reading the list initially). You are right on that one .
None of the others fit the meaning of tyrannical though. It sounds sensational, but it's simply not true.

Yeah, actually you could definitely call NK that (I misread as NL when reading the list initially). You are right on that one .
None of the others fit the meaning of tyrannical though. It sounds sensational, but it's simply not true.
While "tyrannical" may be an exaggeration, the governments of China and Russia skew closer to "totalitarian" than "democratic". All I know about Turkey is the genocide denial, I don't know how bad its government is otherwise.

Nations seem to be looking more at their digital sovereignty, cyber sovereignty, internet boarders or however you want to call it. China and Russia are the most restrictive and if these two Countries can do it, others will follow and form their own sovereignty, and I understand the EU is very interested in this.

So many hate comments against India by the same west(White Supremacists) which literally developed on the wealth which was stolen from India by the Britishers. Estimates tell it was in the tune of $45 trillion adjusted to current rates.

However, I do agree on the point that this govt has no idea what kind of power this data gives in the hand of the future governments.

So many hate comments against India by the same west(White Supremacists) which literally developed on the wealth which was stolen from India by the Britishers. Estimates tell it was in the tune of $45 trillion adjusted to current rates.

However, I do agree on the point that this govt has no idea what kind of power this data gives in the hand of the future governments.

Lol. Eff your "wonderful" country which still has the caste system enforced but can't even keep a country clean. At least the Chinese have an iron will and keep a clean city.
BTW, I'm in Eastern Europe, so I was on the wrong side of history for hundreds of years. So definitely not west supremacy here.
But I'm definitely amused by the fact that you're racist against white people.

Back