Indian man believed to be the first to perish due to meteorite strike

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Authorities in India believe a meteorite crashed into a private engineering college over the weekend, killing one person and injuring three others. If confirmed, it would be the first time in modern history that a person has been killed by a meteor strike.

P. K. Senthil Kumari, the police chief in Vellore district in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu, told CNN that an object crashed into the campus grounds of the Bharathidasan Engineering College around noon on Saturday. The force, which some originally thought to be caused by a bomb, made a booming noise that could be heard from miles away and left an impact crater about two feet deep.

The blast also shattered the windows of nearby buildings and vehicles.

The single fatality was of a 40-year-old bus driver named Kamaraj that worked at the college. Three others – two gardeners and a student – were also injured and are said to be receiving treatment at a local hospital.

The mystery object hasn't yet been confirmed to be a meteorite and will need to be tested by scientists before such a claim can be made, Kumari noted. Nevertheless, the state government described it as such and said it would offer 100,000 rupees (roughly $1,470) to the victim's family as compensation. The three people injured, meanwhile, will receive 25,000 rupees ($367).

Lead image courtesy Babek Tafreshi, Getty Images

Permalink to story.

They pay $1,470 for death by meteorite and the US pays a scant $250 through social security ..... and we call India a 3rd world country?
I think social Security pays $255.00 as the death benefit.

I wonder how much the Indian Government would pay a cow's family if one of the bovine members of their community were hit by a meteorite...:eek:

India is more of a second world country
Really? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manoj–Babli_honour_killing_case

More like they're still working on it: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/opinion/sunday/caste-is-not-past.html?_r=0

They pay $1,470 for death by meteorite and the US pays a scant $250 through social security ..... and we call India a 3rd world country?
I've never heard of a 2nd world country but it kinda makes sense. That would make countries eg. Zimbabwe, Somalia, DCR, Ethiopia etc. eg. 27th, 28th, 29th etc. counties...
Yeah, I like it, you'll know exactly where counties are ranked in terms of economy, progression... I'd like to use etc. and eg. again but I think you're getting my drift. (Eg. meaning 'example'. You'd be surprised how many people don't know that)

I think social Security pays $255.00 as the death benefit.

I wonder how much the Indian Government would pay a cow's family if one of the bovine members of their community were hit by a meteorite...:eek:

Really? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manoj–Babli_honour_killing_case

More like they're still working on it: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/opinion/sunday/caste-is-not-past.html?_r=0
Somebody would be made to pay dearly by burning the steak... er, I mean being burned at the stake. ;)

Last edited:
And murdering abortion doctors in the states is any different? We have our own case of "third world fever"
And murdering abortion doctors in the states is any different? We have our own case of "third world fever"
God bless the USA.....? :D:cool:

When I look out my window, I can;t help but notice we're basically breeding our way back to 3rd world status. This is being funded by our government. It works like this:

The more jobs we lose, the more people become "too sick to work"

The "too sicker" people become, the more free time they have.

The more free time they have, the more the have time to breed".

Their offspring don't have even the will to work, so the circle intensifies wit each generation.

The people who protest abortion are so wrapped up in religious propaganda, they're too stupid to see that their taxes are going toward "planting the trees", which they don't seem to be able to see for the forest..

When you realize both Albert Einstein's parents were college graduates, the argument that one of these "precious crack" (or heroine babies) is going to grow up to be the next Einstein, falls flat on its face.

The guy should have gotten Prudential..."get a piece of the rock!"
Dude, he already did. :D It just wasn't that rock. Besides, that "rock", (the rock of Gibraltar), doesn't belong to Prudential anyway. They just pinched a picture of it for their logo.

(in case you were wondering, I'm fighting fire with fire here, so to speak. More to the point, the worst pun I've heard in quite a while, with my own nauseatingly literal response).

Back