Indie developers say the Game Pass and Epic Games Store gravy train is over

Daniel Sims

Staff
The big picture: For small developers, the compensation Microsoft provides to host a game on Game Pass or what Epic Games pays to keep a title temporarily exclusive to its PC game launcher can be a crucial safety net. However, comments from GDC 2024 indicate that offers from both companies have significantly decreased, suggesting a transition on the horizon.

According to the studios behind Slay the Spire and Darkest Dungeon, multiple indie developers at GDC 2024 claim that funding offers from Microsoft and Epic Games have dramatically diminished. The cause is unclear, but the video game market has recently encountered serious economic headwinds.

Mega Crit co-founder Casey Yano stated that at least five small developers at the event mentioned numerous budget cuts and funding cancellations from big publishers. In some cases, funding partners pulled out even after year-long negotiations.

Yano and Darkest Dungeon director Chris Bourassa reported that Microsoft has approached far fewer indies with offers to host their titles on Game Pass. Bourassa also mentioned that Epic Games has scaled down its strategy of financing indies in exchange for exclusivity on its storefront.

Although the practice of launching games exclusively on the Epic Games Store is unpopular with many customers who prefer sticking to Steam, it provides some developers with a financial cushion by helping them quickly recoup costs. This extra insurance can be crucial for small teams that might depend on the success of one game.

Industry-wide challenges could be to blame for the downward trend. Numerous game companies, including Microsoft and Epic, have contributed to a historic wave of layoffs, so further cost-cutting comes as no surprise. Unfortunately, it's potentially coming at the expense of smaller studios.

Game Pass and the Epic Games Store have faced uphill battles that generous rounds of funding haven't been able to overcome. Microsoft's subscription service hasn't acquired new paying customers as quickly as initially hoped. Xbox head Phil Spencer also noted that the console market as a whole hasn't experienced significant growth in the last couple of years. Meanwhile, the Epic Games Store hasn't achieved profitability after five years of operation.

Still, both services are showing signs of progress. Epic is preparing to launch its store on iOS in Europe after Apple banned and then unbanned the company following the debut of the European Union's Digital Markets Act. Game Pass recently received Diablo IV, the first major addition resulting from Microsoft's $69 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

Permalink to story.

I will not be sad to see EGS exclusivity and/or the the whole EGS store go away.

I would be very sad if anything bad happened to the Slay the Spire team, although I'm surprised to hear they're worried. StS is an incredible game but I don't think required a large team to make? I've happily bought it on I think 4 different platforms and I'm likely to buy their next game at launch too.

Oh no, exclusivity deals and subscription services aren’t taking off as well as the massive billion dollar corporations thought they would…

Oh no…

Such a shame…

On a serious note, glad to see there’s enough gamers out there with enough brain cells that’s effectively stopped this nonsense, good on you gamers.

Not surprising, EGS and Gamepass have picked up the folks they're going to pick up, can't keep throwing money at the problem (not enough customers want to use your service) if that money isn't moving the needle.

Maybe we'll finally see what all those EGS preachers have been shouting from their soapboxes for so long: actual storefront competition with EGS improving the quality of the service they offer their customers rather than trying to rope people in with freebees and exclusives.

Wouldn't hold my breath though.

The industry struggles as a whole. Multiple big projects underperformed within recent years.
Therefore lay offs, stopping exclusive deals, releasing exclusive games on other platforms.
This is a good time for these studios to stop talking and look back to what brought them money
and fans. I would also highly recommend firing anyone having anything to do with DEI or diversity consulting.
The thing has become so poisonous that it starts destroying their projects even before they are released.

Gamers:
Microsoft, Sony, Activision: there are monopolies! Regulators should do something!

Also Gamers:
F*uck Epic, we only want Steam to rule our lives!

Gamers when antitrust regulators eventually look at Steam:
https://wallpapercave.com/wp/wp5338281.jpg
That’s not true at all, EGS just doesn’t remotely compete with Steam, neither does uPlay, Origin, Battle.Net and all the other stores.

Gamers want competition, just no one even puts any effort into competing with Steam, it took EGS years to add basic things like a shopping cart for crying out loud…

I feel the Game Pass business model is not sustainable, especially when the library grows. I presume MS needs to pay the developer for each title on the game pass. Epic is kept afloat due to Fortnite, not the store.

This is failing because people are starting to use their brain matter and realize game "rentals" are mentally lacking and unacceptable.

This is failing because people are starting to use their brain matter and realize game "rentals" are mentally lacking and unacceptable.
One reason that is kind of obvious but not talked a lot is the market size. It is huge, with multiple big games coming out every year. There is a lot to choose from. And just below AAA, there are even more companies offering pretty good games for cheaper. It keeps growing despite slow downs and a lot of grown ups who do not play see it is an investment opportunity. And even if they stop shoving politics into OUR games (it would actually be of much help) creating top sellers will be getting harder as more companies aslo hope to do that

Gamers:
Microsoft, Sony, Activision: there are monopolies! Regulators should do something!

Also Gamers:
F*uck Epic, we only want Steam to rule our lives!

Gamers when antitrust regulators eventually look at Steam:
https://wallpapercave.com/wp/wp5338281.jpg

-Epic is the company cornering the game engine market with Unreal and then tying that to a discount if using their game store for devs... But it's somehow Steam that regulators need to look at for made up "anti-competitive practices".

Remember, being a monopoly isn't a crime, using your market dominance to prevent other players from entering the game is. Steam does not force or twist or payoff anyone to keep games exclusive to their store.

One reason that is kind of obvious but not talked a lot is the market size. It is huge, with multiple big games coming out every year. There is a lot to choose from. And just below AAA, there are even more companies offering pretty good games for cheaper. It keeps growing despite slow downs and a lot of grown ups who do not play see it is an investment opportunity. And even if they stop shoving politics into OUR games (it would actually be of much help) creating top sellers will be getting harder as more companies aslo hope to do that
Also good points! Nice!

Back