"INF Error", VGA Driver "Missing" Installing ATI Catalyst Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have an ATI Radeon 8500 on my Windows XP system, and one day, after my dad had used the computer, the 3D video driver stoppeed working. He can't recall doing anything. So it goes. I think "whatever", downloaded the latest Catalyst drivers, and try to install it, only to get the message "INF Error, Video Driver Not Found" and then "Try to set up your adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup". I tried googling for info (apparently it's a common-ish issue), but I never found anything that worked. I tried uninstalling anything ATI and then installing, to no avail. I tried uninstalling the error-listed VGA adapter from the Device Manager and then running install which didn't work. Rebooting after that also didn't work (it popped up with "New hardware found" after the reboot, but it couldn't find the proper drivers).

After an unedifying series of adventures I got to http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=45&kind=1 which has several drivers for my mobo. I first downloaded (obviously) the VGA driver, and tried to run setup. Unfortunately, after preparing the install, an Error message pops up saying "The system cannot detect the device, please confirm that the device is configured properly and restart the setup program." I then tried downloading the AGP upgrade, installed it, but nothing changed. I also downloaded the BIOS update, since it mentioned a VGA upgrade, but I'm uncomfortable with upgrading the BIOS if it's possible that that's not the main issue.

I've tried using add/remove programs to remove any ATI from my computer, I've tried using older drivers, I've tried reinstalling Windows XP on a different Hard Drive. Nothing seems to work!

If this could be solved ASAP, that would be lovely, as I'm going through video game withdrawl here (also scrolling in Firefox is all jerky and some videos are jerky when playing).

Robbie B

P.s: A nearly identical problem came up here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic15072.html and no one sorted it out for that guy. I hope this goes better.

the radeon is not integrated with your motherboard, and the onboard video has probably been disabled in the BIOS. to install the appropriate drivers for an ATI radeon 8500 card you need to download and install the drivers from ati's website. from there you can download the latest version of catalyst and install that.

Get the drivers from ATi.com. You'll need Catalyst 6.5 drivers since newer versions don't support the 8500.

ati.com, drivers & software, (your OS), Radeon, Catalyst 6.7 Download, under Not Supported click Radeon 8500, download and install drivers (They're under .NET, which needs to be installed)

omega drivers

I installed latest ati omega drivers but when I tried to start some games (eg. LEGO Star Wars 2) i get message: "Sorry, but your machine is unable to run this game. It requires a graphics card which supports Pixel Shaders v1.1. The game will now exit."... How can I fix this problem?

The latest is Catalyst 7.2 although 7.3 should be coming out within a few days. They usually put a new one out about once a month and they haven't done so yet in March.

I had a problem with my Radeon 9800 card with Windows booting up in VGAsave mode, the ATI program stopped installing saying I must be in VGA mode to complete the install. I then chose Microsoft Radeon drivers from the disabled drivers in Device Manager and used the "Update Driver" command by right-clicking the device. After a reboot the ATI Catalyst program allowed the full install and everything worked perfectly.

i had similar problem. i removed my graphics card replaced it. just to make sure it was correctly inserted.

then installed the ati catalyst 7.5 update which for some reason worked.

i have radeon X550 graphics card

only thing i never liked bout having to do this update was having to re-setup the configurations for my display

mufckingud7 said:
i had similar problem. i removed my graphics card replaced it. just to make sure it was correctly inserted.

then installed the ati catalyst 7.5 update which for some reason worked.

i have radeon X550 graphics card

only thing i never liked bout having to do this update was having to re-setup the configurations for my display
Wouldn't 7.6 work?

driver download

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Choose your OS (Windows xp, Linux)
Choose your Graphics card type (Radeon, All-In-Wonder)
Choose your Graphics Card version (Radeon x1900, All-In-Wonder 2006 Series)
Click GO

The following info should pop up (Used Radeon x550):

Option 1
Download Link -Catalyst Software Suite
File Size -34.6MB
Version -7.6
Date Posted -June 25
Package Includes -2007 Display Driver, Catalyst Control Center, WDM Drivers

Option 2
Download Link -Display Driver
File Size -14.2MB
Version -7.6
Date Posted -June 25
Package Includes -2007 Display Driver Only

i hope this may come to help some of you in where to find the exact card you need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back