TechSpot

Infinite Loop (nothing to do with Nvidia...)

By Vehementi
May 29, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok. So.

I was forced to install Red Hat 7.2 Linux on a different computer than I'm actually going to be running it on, due to my computer now that has dead PS/2 slots. So, I move the hard drive I want Linux to be installed on over to the computer I was going to use to install it. Installation goes without a hitch, and I get to the actual GUI on that computer.

I may just be the dumbest person to ever install Linux.

So I moved it (hard drive) over to the computer I'm going to be using Linux on. Boots up w/o a problem, then I get to the Red Hat screen, where I select what OS I want to load. Naturally, there's only Red Hat. But of course, I'm using a USB keyboard, and it doesn't detect it. Luckily, it automatically booted the selected OS, which was Red Hat. The first 15-20 lines of the loading process appear, and then a line that says "Uncompressing Linux..." or something of the like appears, and then some text appears beyond that. Problem is, I don't have time to read the text (I actually caught OK at the beginning) because my computer reboots right then and there. It keeps doing this, over and over until I shut down my computer.

This is very aggravating. There has to be a solution somewhere. Or, am I out of luck? :(

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,556   +301

3. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 3,199

Well, Phat had the same exact problem as me. Except he had a working keyboard and mouse, which I don't.

I need to know if there's something that I can add to a file on my other computer to fix this.

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

You'll need to turn off 'Plug and play OS' and enable USB keyboard in BIOS.

5. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 3,199

Solved.

Just reinstalled it w/ a working keyboard...thanks Nodsu!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.