[Info] Yahoo confirms hack

By Bobbye
Jul 13, 2012
  1. YAHOO CONFIRMS HACK

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-07-12/yahoo-password-hacking/56162694/1

Approximately 470,000 Yahoo email addresses and passwords were stolen. This was then posted on a hacker's website and stored in plain text.

Check your email for phishing attempts.

I had an email supposedly from amazon.com, supposedly acknowledging an order I had cancelled. The order number was given as a hyperlink. Clicking on that will redirect you to some site that is either fraudulent or has warning of poor reputation.

Since I don't use Yahoo on amazon and since I hadn't cancelled an order and most of all because both Firefox and WOT advise me of these sites and won't open them unless I override the warning, I did click on the link (NOT ADVISED) to see if I could get either an IP or ISP info.
    Instead, I got the multiple warnings.

BE ADVISED: These phishing messages look very authentic in the display and wording, so expect that and delete them without opening.
    =================================
    Note: I am editing my post because I am no longer able to reply in this forum- even to myself:

So far, I have not seen anything about learning if you were a victim of the hack. If I see anymore info on this, I'll edit again.
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,109   +21

Thanks for this post Bobbye. Anyway we can find out if our Yahoo account was one of those compromised?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.