TechSpot

Init problem

By Compfool
Feb 26, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just downloaded Ubuntu on my Windows Vista computer, whenever I try to start it up it claims that init is not found and that I should try init=bootarg. I have no idea what that means. Thanks in advance.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,408   +314

see this boot description

sounds like /etc/inittab is missing; try booting with init=1 which will give you Single User Mode.
  3. Compfool

Compfool TS Rookie Topic Starter

Okay that did not help me because all that page tells me is how to edit it using Red Hat/Fedora. I can't even get into the Ubuntu side of my computer. Are there any other suggestions or can anyone tell me if i am just not getting it?
  4. jobeard

did this system EVER Boot correctly?
  5. Compfool

Compfool TS Rookie Topic Starter

Actually it did. The first time I downloaded it I was not used to the keyboard, this being a new laptop, and I accidentally typed the password in wrong. I have no idea how I typed it the same those two times, although I could not figure it out so I left, went to the Vista side, uninstalled it, and reinstalled it. I am sorry I did not give you this information I forgot about it with all my other frustrations lately.
  6. jobeard

ok, when you did the second install, did you rewrite (or save) the boot loader -- and which one did yo choose: Grub would be the default, but many still use LILO
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.