Inno3D GeForce 9800GTX power

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch04

Hi just wondering what power supply will it need? I have 400 watt power supply now. Do you reckon that will be ok? its the Inno3D GeForce 9800GTX 512M PCI-E 2.0 DDR3 675/2200MHz Dual Dual-Link DVI HDTV Fan HDCP

thanks

A 9800GTX uses about 150W of power, without knowing what other specs you have in your system, it's hard to make an accurate call. I'd lean towards the 400W PSU not being enough though.

Full specs? RAM? CPU?

Ok I got 2 512 mg & 1 gb of ram. Athlon Amd dual core 2. 2 ghz 3800. dvd rom, 120GB hard drive just one. and I have an 8600GT graphics card in I got now. So what do you reckon?

That system with a 9800GTX would use roughly 300W of power. To allow spare wattage so the PSU isn't overloading, a 500W 85% efficient PSU would do fine. It allows you to add additional components and have it stable for future upgrades as well. Updating to a more powerful CPU would be supported under such a PSU..

I'd say pick up a Antec 550W and you'll be sweet. =]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103941

hmm so there would be no chance for my power supply to run it? I might just buy one on ebay for like $40 for a 500 watts

mitch04 said:
hmm so there would be no chance for my power supply to run it? I might just buy one on ebay for like $40 for a 500 watts

You'd really be pushing it on 400W, I wouldn't risk it. Note also, PSU's lose power efficiency over a yearly basis, so it may only put out 350W or 300W if you'd have it for a year or more, for example.

It's safe and more reliable to purchase a new 550W to give your PSU the extra power it needs to run the system and be able to breathe. On 400W it'd be running at max to put out the power which means it could overheat and die very quickly.

fullmetalvegan said:
You'd really be pushing it on 400W, I wouldn't risk it. Note also, PSU's lose power efficiency over a yearly basis, so it may only put out 350W or 300W if you'd have it for a year or more, for example.

It's safe and more reliable to purchase a new 550W to give your PSU the extra power it needs to run the system and be able to breathe. On 400W it'd be running at max to put out the power which means it could overheat and die very quickly.

Thanks mate yeah I have had it for a year so. I would just like to get one on ebay for like $50 and thats 500 watts. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-P4-AMD-5...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
What would you reckon?
thanks

That power supply might be rated at 500W but with only 13 amps on the +12V rail, it won't be good enough for any 9800 card. Don't go by watts only. Always check the amps.

I did a quick check through all of the 9800GTX cards listed at Newegg and of those that listed amp requirements a couple stated 24 amps on the +12V rail. For OC versions, 26 amps. These recommendations take into account the other components a PC typically will have so depending on what you actually have installed, you might need more or less but in no event will 13 amps be enough.

Well, not really. Note that this one has only 18 amps on the +12V rail. Remember you are looking for a minimum of 24 amps on the +12V rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back